PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 30, 2014
wv
This one looked a little rough but I was pleasantly surprised how well preserved it was under all the cake. The rim was in perfect condition, as well as the mortise, tenon, and button. I de-grimed it and restained it with a mix of dark brown and oxblood. A heavily caked pipe is a gamble, sometimes it actually protects the briar, but most of the time it's only masking the damage. In this case I rolled 7's.
hKO1Wpnl.jpg

XP8QzK6l.jpg

87rs6Dxl.jpg

N5NDZeul.jpg

yD4Jf1Vl.jpg

HrSKqQRl.jpg

ljtSmq1l.jpg

Ywt9C4sl.jpg

xiHsZGVl.jpg

ULDnCzNl.jpg

rroj6oYl.jpg

HrSKqQRl.jpg

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Awesome pipe, restoration and shape! My experience is like yours on the cake build-up, it often does protect the bowl top. It is fun to see a beautifully shaped GBD bowl top revealed as you peel back the crud.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
Bird's eye fan here as well, and I agree, you uncovered some beautiful wood. I can't get enough of the pipe transformations. They seem permanently roached, and as good as, or better than new. Amazing.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
The additional benefit from having that cake is the protection it gave both the rim AND the bowl. That's a nice piece of briar right there. I bet it will deliver as good as it looks.

Just a terrific job on that old treasure!

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
I love to see the before and after pictures. I always get carried away and forget the 'before' pictures. Great job!

milehighme

Lurker
May 18, 2015
Beautiful restoration! I love the color you came up with. I guess I need to start mixing and matching my dyes

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
That's a great looking pipe, really like the square shank and stem.

I would have guessed the rim of that bowl was burnt away based on the pics. Nice job. :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.