PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
I picked up this GBD Midnight the other day; the photos are from the seller. I think all the Midnight series I've seen previously have had an acrylic stem; this one has a vulcanite stem with the brass rondel. Any idea of the age/quality of pipe would be appreciated. The seller thinks it was from the 1970s; he bought it from a long-standing B&M 6 or so years ago he said.

4dotsasieni

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 6, 2013
I have almost the identical pipe with the vulcanite stem - I bought it, i think in the late '60's or early '70's. But it's not stamped "Midnight," it just says GBD.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Greg:
This is from http://www.perardua.net/pipes/GBDlines.html
"A touch of class! A rich combination of deep charcoal briar color, complimented with a matching Hand Cut Acrylic mouthpiece. Surprisingly affordable in the middle popular price range." -catalog ( 1980 )
Do you see any numbers on the pipe? I've got a GBD Ebony 9456 that's almost a dead ringer for your Midnight.
Fnord

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
It's kind of hard to tell from that picture collage, but the "Made In London" stamp appears to be in a circle. If so, that is a Cadogan era pipe made after 1981. (pre-Cadogan pipes are stamped "London, England" in a straight line) I have a Cadogan-era GBD with a brass rondell and it is a wonderful smoker. I concluded these pipes must have been made shortly after the merger and used up the remaining supply of brass rondells. That one has a lovely grain!

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
@fnord It is also a 9456.
@Al The photos are blurry but I think you're right about the "oval"; I'll know for sure when it arrives. I should've known, or remembered, that about the oval verses straight.
From what I can acertain, there seems to have been at least two "runs" of the Midnight: the first with vulcanite stems and rondells, the second with acrylic stems and (mostly) painted logos. I think you're right about it being just after the merger, Al.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
Okay, I finally had time to get to this one tonight. Here is the write up and photos if you're interested: http://wp.me/p2tGZK-2UM

Status
Not open for further replies.