PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jojoc

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 10, 2019
Well @npod triggered my PAD with his 10o years of the Prince Pipe post. I don't have a prince in my collection, so I did a little hunting and found this GBD Prince at a price point I thought, what the heck ....

So, a couple questions:
1. Any idea on the date? From my limited knowledge of GBD Pipes, it appears to be pre-merger (1981). I don't have the pipe in hand yet, and this is the only photo. My understanding is the other side is marked with "France" and 357.
2. Thoughts on quality of this line? Again, from my limited research it appears it was likely a mid-range pipe

Thanks!

jojoc

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 10, 2019
Speciale Standard

(Not sure why the photo posted twice in the Original Post. They are the same photo.)

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Not much is written on French made GBD's, but I would say that is pre-merger. Post merger COM changes to a round stamp, on British made, so I assume French made would have a similar change (or perhaps there were no post-Cadogan, French made GBD's?)

jojoc

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 10, 2019
Not much is written on French made GBD's, but I would say that is pre-merger. Post merger COM changes to a round stamp, on British made, so I assume French made would have a similar change (or perhaps there were no post-Cadogan, French made GBD's?)
My understanding is that French production was closed down and moved to London as part of or shortly after the post-Cadogan merger.
There Does not seem to be a lot written on GBD's in general, and even less on the French production lines. I did find a comment in a post from GL Pease that he likes the French Speciale Standard lines, that they smoke Virginia's really well.

Reactions: dmcmtk

jojoc

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 10, 2019
Any information out there on dating beyond the per-merger dates. When did they change from script to block letters for the model names? Seems like there is a complete void from the 30s to the 80's as far as dating these.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Your guess is as good as mine. A lot of GBD history seems to be lost to time. I would bet your pipe is from the 60s-70s... but just a guess.

Reactions: diamondback

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Yep, lost to time, a shame. I suppose there must be plant workers who were young in the late 70's to early 80's. Wish we could interview them!

I've never seen a GBD stamped France, with a round post-merger COM, so I also suspect that production ended in France at that time.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
I know the Speciale pipes were made at least as late as 1961, they were $8.50 at the time. It sure looks like a very nice pipe to me. This is my Speciale shape 111,

"I did find a comment in a post from GL Pease that he likes the French Speciale Standard lines, that they smoke Virginia's really well."

You can also see the 111 shape here,

jojoc

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 10, 2019
@ssjones and @sablebrush52
Gentleman - I saw in some other posts that you have some 1950-1970s GBD catalogs. I'm curious when the earliest mention of the "Speciale Standard" is based on your records. I found an old ebay listing of a 1979 catalog that mentions it, so i know this line was produced right up to the merger in the early 80's, but it would be nice to to maybe narrow it down somewhat on the bottom end. On the pipedia page there is a 1961 image referencing "Speciale", but not "Speciale Standard", and apparently only 18 shapes were made, which did not include the Prince shape. So likely, post 1961,
Any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I have that same one.. must not be very "unique"! lol

I'll get a good pic up tonight

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
@ssjones and @sablebrush52
Gentleman - I saw in some other posts that you have some 1950-1970s GBD catalogs. I'm curious when the earliest mention of the "Speciale Standard" is based on your records. I found an old ebay listing of a 1979 catalog that mentions it, so i know this line was produced right up to the merger in the early 80's, but it would be nice to to maybe narrow it down somewhat on the bottom end. On the pipedia page there is a 1961 image referencing "Speciale", but not "Speciale Standard", and apparently only 18 shapes were made, which did not include the Prince shape. So likely, post 1961,
Any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance!
I think you just answered your question that your pipe is most likely mid 1960s to 1980 ... no way to narrow it more than that IMO.

mau1

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
Ontario, Canada
I have a 1911 GBD Speciale made in London by Adolphe Oppenheimer. Jguss mentioned in a different thread that the GBD Speciale was made as early as 1906.
I am somewhat confused as to why a pipe would be stamped both Speciale and Standard. A further expansion of the brand?

Reactions: dmcmtk

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I believe all the standard French made GBD line was called "Speciale" although it was not necessarily "Special".
So you had Speciale Standard (smooth) and Speciale Sablee (sandblast).

GBD nomenclature and history is VERY confusing.

mau1

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
Ontario, Canada
We need to recognize the changes over time. The earlier GBD Speciale were "special" as per Pipedia.
"Early GBDs were made only in one single grade concerning the wood’s quality, later supplemented by a second one, and there was only a very limited number of finishes. But toward the end of the 19th century, the demand changed. For example the Britons preferred darker stainings. More differentiated customer’s wishes made the introduction of additional markings necessary. GBD Xtra and GBD Special were very early models who’s names indicated special final treatments and / or fitments. The standard quality was stamped simply with GBD."

The use of Special in later periods doesn't reflect the same quality IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.