PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 30, 2014
wv
A little help from the GBD fans please. I'm having trouble finding any solid information on this pipe. The many articles I've read on it are all over the place. Made in the 30's. Made in the 70's. So on and so on. I have GBD pipe with the stampings - Collector Fantasy- London England- 9622. If anyone knows about this line, or could point out where to research, please message.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Hi Dan,

Welcome to the forum. I got my first GBD, (a second, actually--City de Luxe,) in 1961. It cost $10, and was a birthday gift from a girlfriend, and was a real budget stretcher for an undergrad. Since then, I've picked up about a dozen, most made in the 60s and early 70s. The Collector series was one of their better lines, but there is such a variety and assortment of GBD pipes that it's often difficult to tell where and when a pipe was made. One clue: if it has a solid brass or silver GBD rondelle set into the stem, it's one of the earlier (and better, IMHO,) models made prior to the merger with Comoy. If the rondelle is painted or stamped, it's a later model, and probably not of the same quality. And by quality, I mean a pipe that served as a gold standard during its heyday, rivaling Dunhill and Charatan at their best. You can find a lot of useful info at pipedia.org.

My guess: you've got a great pipe, one of GBD's better ones.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Unfortunately, the best you can do in dating GBD's is that the brass rondell was used before 1982. the stamping typically, but not always, changes to the round "Made in London, England" stamp after that point.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Thank you for help gentlemen. I will checkout the links. It is stamped London England. It has the brass oval and clear stem, so I think it's an older one. One of these days I'll figure out how to post pictures on the forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.