PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dixie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 27, 2013
It was sitting in a basket all by it's lonesome...Got it for a steal...Cleaned it up nice and had a great smoke!
pipe9_zps61a392c6.jpg

pipe8_zps8b4b1c5c.jpg

pipe7_zpse3364d9a.jpg

pipe6_zpsc1e6bf1e.jpg

pipe10_zps2f789a3b.jpg

thedudeabides

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 6, 2013
Very nice! Older GBDs can be fantastic smokers, and that is a great shape. Congrats and well done!

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Good looking burner, Dixie, and I'm glad it smoked well for you.
Those thick-ass GBD Rhodesians are very popular around here.
I walked by a couple of very well smoked GBD Virgins last week at almost forty each and am trying my best not look back.
Fnord

timely

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 23, 2012
Fantastic find. What a beautiful GBD Pipe.

Love it.!!!

dixie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 27, 2013
SSJones, it is stamped GBD (circled) and "New Standard" on the other side of the shank. I know the 9242 shape is a hard one to find so I pictured that side above. Thanks for the comments all! I was very excited when I saw it and the great shape it is still in.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
EBay gets about one 9242 per year, but I haven't seen any yet this year. A beat up similar grade sold for over $300 in 2012.

mtnfolkmike

Might Stick Around
Oct 27, 2013
nice score.. congrats.. I have been scouring the antique stores around here lately, with no luck.. I did however find a cool walnut 6 pipe, pipe rack, with a small tobacco container..

dixie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 27, 2013
SSJones, thanks for the info! That is great news. Mtnfolkmike, that rack sounds like a nice find. I regularly check the local shops and have all the shop owners keeping an eye out for me. I will look forward to seeing some of your great finds!

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Wow. I guess I'm going to the wrong antique shops. Congratulations on your new GBD!
-Jason

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
You can't find if you aren't looking. One of my buddies stopped in a VA shop on the way to the Richmond show, he bought a NIB 1963 Dunhill shell bulldog for.......$15......

mlyvers

Can't Leave
Sep 23, 2012
Great find sir, i myself have had no luck locating anything special at an Antique shop or flea market yet.
Mike.

smokingiron70

Lurker
Dec 1, 2013
I bought my first GBD in 1970 from Smoker's Haven in Columbus...a Granitan which still smokes well today. I acquired quite a few more GBD's thereafter while that shop was in its heyday. All remain good smokers and some are truly exceptional. My personal favorites are the #269 Bulldogs in any grade and always with an English tobacco. A #269 in Virgin I bought in '72 is unchallenged as my best smoking pipe ever, better than my vintage Charatans and Comoys, and always with an English blend.
GBD's from the '70's, including the "Sovereign's" from France, are well made and good smokers when properly cared for and restored. I'd recommend them to any seasoned smoker and novice. I've also owned Theydon's and Digby's, GBD's "seconds" lines, and wouldn't knock either for smoking quality. Unfortunately, I don't own new GBD's and am reluctant to comment upon their quality. It seems to me generally, however, that the briar offered now by the major pipe brands is less dense than that used in the seventies and earlier. This may permit some unique staining contrasts but I don't think delivers the same quality smoke as the better estates can over time.

Status
Not open for further replies.