PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I found this GBD Shape 1353 "Seventy-Six" model in a four-pipe lot on Ebay last week. I have three other "Seventy-Six" models in my collection. I would call this shape a "Banker" but I've seen it referred on the Smokers Haven sales page as an "oval-shank pot". In researching this shape, member Portascat also has this GBD shape, restored by Walker Briar last year. I didn't yet have this shape represented in my collection.
I detailed all of the restoration steps on the Steve Laugs "Reborn Pipes" blog and you can read those details here, including some additional photos:
http://rebornpipes.wordpress.com/2013/06/17/gbd-oval-shank-pot-seventy-six-restoration/
Here's a shot of the pipe as I received it and the finished pipe. It's not perfect, but I find the shape and finish pleasing. I'm looking forward to breaking it in.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Al that's sharp. That stem sure looks comfortable. Nice job.
Hope she smokes good for you!

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Great looking pipe. I have a 76 Canadian that smokes wonderfully, and I'll bet yours will smoke as good as mine. Congrats!

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Nice job Al, as usual.
Al, I do have a question about the rondels you restore on all these GBDs. I collect Chacoms that has the metal rondel as well. Are all the GBD rondells the silver color? I ask because I bought a Chacom that had a rondel and the previous owner buffed it so much the rondell was now silver instead of brass in color that they come in. Do you worry about that? Hoe do you deal with that?

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Thanks guys. This eBay lot also included a Comoys 215 which I'm working on next.
Eagle: I've heard there are silver and brass rondells, but I have only seen the brass one. I learned the hard way not to be too aggressive on the rondell and took finish off one during an early restoration attempt, leaving black letters. It is hand work with the sanding papers (but easier than a stamped logo).
I'll break it in this evening with some MM965.

Status
Not open for further replies.