PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Civil War

Lifer
Mar 6, 2018
Anyone know what is going on with Gawith Hoggarth & Co, their tobaccos are becoming increasing difficult to find. SP.com and P&C.com are basically sold out. Is this the new norm for all English made tobaccos?

economistandfisherman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 11, 2018
Excellent question! I was wondering myself; I'm down to my last tin of American Delight and also Top Black Cherry that I use for mixing with other tobaccos. Done some internet research and the only thing I've found out is that many of their website links (inquiry links mostly) are gone...not deactivated, but literally removed from their site.

Good question... I don't remember ropes ever running out the first few years I was buying online. But, then that was just a few years. We can all guess and suppose, but really unless someone wants to write them and ask, we are just making stuff up. My guess... cats are getting caught up in their machinery. Every time they turn on a press or rope twirling machine or cutter, a cat gets stuck in it, and they have to spray the cat remains out and wash the equipment. All of my tobacco has cat hair in it, but then at my house cat hair is in everything. :puffy:

georgebmcclelland

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2018
I don't know, Cosmic's answer seems a little far-fetched. People always dramatize everything. It's actually that their cats just keep spraying the tobacco to mark their territory, and since the cats are basically family, they're not going anywhere.

rdavid

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
Weren't we just talking about cat piss somewhere else yesterday? Things are getting strangely feline around here...
Cats are like boats and swimming pools... As long as they belong to somebody else, I love em!

economistandfisherman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 11, 2018
crash, are your cats spraying on your stash as well? Because with what's going on at the facility that cosmic and george mentioned above, that's probably just a little too much cat piss for me...although you might be able to charge a premium to some smokers who like cat piss flavored pipe tobacco...

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Germain's is the same thing. I wonder if these lulls in availability have something to do with their traditional production methods.
If I had any cats, I'd train them to pee on the plugs –the electrical plugs.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
I with you @civilwar. G&H makes one of my favorites blends and it was traditionally always in stock. Alas, no more. And it is out at all the retailers for many months now.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
This is why we stock up as much as we can, when we can. That being said it is odd that GH&Co. are all out of stock when it’s usually just their bigger brother Sam. Hmmm. I think it may be due to the histeria that occurred when McClelland closed their doors. People are buying up everything they can for the end of times.

While we are throwing out wild hypothesiseses... If I owned one of the worlds largest producers of pipe tobacco, with just under a fourth of sales going to one country, and that country started making laws telling them how to run their business... and trying to charge them fees, elaborate fees set up by their cigarette CEOs... would you be excited to continue selling to that country? Or, would you start finding ways to restructure or reinvent what you do?
That being said, are all of the shelves as empty in England as they are over here? I can't find a GH&co twist except in a few out of the way B&Ms. God, I sure hope England has as many empty shelves as we do. :puffy:

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
just checked my usual Uk supplier,mysmokingshop.co.uk for plugs/twists/flakes everything shown in stock.No good to you guys though as they dont ship tobacco abroad (stupid EU Rules).

Status
Not open for further replies.