PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Apparently I never reviewed this amazing blend. Let's fix that!
Over time, this has become one of my go-to tobaccos for an all-day smoke. It seems designed to be carried in a pouch, partially rubbed out and stuffed into a pipe, and then to burn for a long time in a cool, smooth delivery of a sweet Virginia flavor with a hint of dark fired spice and the faintest of incense-like combinations of topping. It is very strong in the nicotine department, but if you let it burn naturally, it delivers a constant stream of thin smoke, so the effect is not disastrous but rather sustaining, especially if outside. When you first open the jar, since this is only sold in bulk, the scent of peat and crushed vegetation will reach your nose. Rub out a few of these tiny coins, then mash that mass together in your hands and hold it for a few moments as the extra moisture and ammonia drift away. Then gravity fill the pipe and push down very lightly, extra lightly even, before doing your char-tamp-light. At this point, you want to breath-smoke the bowl, drawing not at all, and letting the natural capillary pressure of your mouth closed around the stem pull the smoke into your mouth, breathing it out when you inhale through your nose about every two breaths, which is roughly seven seconds as is normal for someone concentrating on a task. An average-sized bowl lasts well over an hour, and a large bowl could go for almost two. If you have trouble getting it to light, wait a few moments; you may have seen how old school pipe smokers tend to pack a bowl, then hold the pipe in the hand while looking over whatever task is before them, then light when they know how to make it work. Once you get through the top layer of the bowl, the leaf will start to caramelize, and the flavor becomes sweeter but loses none of its depth. Expect a faint essence of leather, malt and hay. You can smoke this all day in 3-4 bowls and be perfectly content. If you want to give it some body, mix with some dark Burley and a sweet Virginia like you would find in a Va/Per, which really brings out the "voices" of each blend and melds them together into a lovely spectrum of flavors. For leaf quality and preparation, this may be one of the best values on the tobacco market today.
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/574#review95277
Delicious stuff, an essential for any piper, and with very low flavorings.

Reactions: badbriar

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
No, not a joke. They are different blends, but have a similar appeal. High-potency Virginia sweetness with a flavor that has mellowed to being more broad like Burley, similar burning qualities, probably pressed the same way which accelerates the maturing/aging process, and they will appeal to the same type of smoker. Nothing can every be Royal Yacht but the Yacht, but for those looking for an alternative, Brown Twist Sliced is the closest to the whole experience. Mix it up with a little Dark Burley, a Va/Per like Former Straight Grain Flake or Rattray Hal O'The Wynd, and you have as close as you are going to get to the Royal Yacht experience without the real deal, in my view.

thomasw

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 5, 2016
Sounds promising; look forward to smoking some of this Brown Twist Sliced.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Brown Bogie is definitely a favorite of mine as well and the sliced version of it comes in handy. Good review. I think your right to breath smoke this one as the flavors can get a bit too bitter if you puff away on it like mad man. Good stuff indeed!

retrogrouch

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 16, 2017
Great review. Thank you. I smoked some of this and loved it. It was a wonderful smoke with, for me, an occasional taste of cigar. The nicotine was strong enough to keep this from being an all day favorite.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
It might be a bit much for constant smoking at first, but it blends well also. I mixed some in with lighter Burleys to enhance flavor, and it turned out OK and more of a "strong" than "overwhelming."

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
We do not sufficiently honor the past by buying precut pressed tobacco, nor do I prepare it for the pipe with the aid of a sharp instrument. Tobacco was spun into rope so that a hunk for the day's smoke could be torn off and carried in the pocket. It survives today by the grace of SG and GH, but at one time it was made by many tobacco shops in England. I find the joy of living in that historical past evoked by rendering rope and plug by hand worth the labor.

thomasw

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 5, 2016
@ sp: Lacking some of your sentimentality for the plug, I prefer the convenience of the sliced, especially when I wish to mix it. But what is most important here is that both versions are killer smokes.
FWIW, I have found slight variance in the ropes as well as in the sliced, and I am not sure as to why. I hypothesize that it has most to do with the differing batches of the tobacco harvested and less to do with the processing of the different batches; although I had read opinions to the contrary, especially with regard to how much Lakeland one batch has or lacks.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I prefer the convenience of the sliced, especially when I wish to mix it.
While this is true, I think there's slightly more Nicotine in the rope.
Either way, you are getting a great blend.
Honoring the past? I am for it... which is why I smoke too much 3P.

Status
Not open for further replies.