PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I picked up a large bag of this stuff in one of the recent sales and have it all jarred.
I haven't tried it yet, but based on everything I've read about it I'm reasonably certain there is very little chance I won't love it.
But I haven't noticed it mentioned on here very much and I'd be interested to hear anyone's opinion of it who's had it...especially how it does with age.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Absolutely love the stuff and it ages superbly! Makes a great morning smoke paired with hot tea or coffee. Very bold flavor not unlike their rope tobaccos. An everyday blend if you like full bodied, stout, nic heavy blends. I dry mine out for a long time before I find it’s ready to smoke, Your mileage may very.

Sep 18, 2015
Smoking a bowl right now! (2013) I’ve gone thru about a pound and a half of this stuff, it smooths out a little with some time, gets a bit more creamy. I think it will do well long term but can’t say for sure. It’s got a nice little nic-kick.

rmpeeps

Lifer
Oct 17, 2017
San Antonio, TX
It’s absolutely a fine tobacco to put away for long term. It packs a wallop from day one and retains that quality. With time the flavor goes from what I consider purple, the deeeep indigo.

Hang on to it and smoke it along the way, you’ll not be disappointed.

It also blends very well with about 20% G&H Kendal Kentucky.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Thanks for all the input guys. It's all exactly as I perceived it from everything else I read...and sounds like it's right up my alley. It's just another one that I should have got around to sooner.

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
Im with Hawky on this one .dry it well and enjoy.

I bought a 500gr bag last year and I smoked my way through it at a rate of a couple of bowls a day.Not sure about aging as it was gone too soon.I have just last week got 500 gr more as I have to wait for friends to come from England to bring it as Uk tobacconists cant post tobacco overseas.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
I tried a 1 oz sample a few years ago. I find it is best in a small bowl and a nice outdoor smoke.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I have an idea.... since you have a large bag of it why not try a bowl?
I've heard of this idea of having an idea before...and I've always wondered what it's like...or if it improves with age.
You've inspired me to see if I can hatch one.

okiematt

Lurker
Mar 28, 2019
Oklahoma
I really enjoy this tobacco. My advice is to smoke it slow. It burns fast and has a good amount of nicotine. I get the hiccups if I smoke it too fast. Good with coffee for sure.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I have a bag going on 15+ years now. It smooths out quite a bit but still has the flavor and strength.
That's good to know.
I'm at a point of trying to gauge quantities of particular blends to cellar. For several years I was kind of lazy about trying a lot of different blends and just stuck to a relative few that I really liked.
Over the last couple of years my taste has shifted a bit for whatever reason. I'm not as strongly drawn to lat blends as I used to be for one example...which I suppose is just as well since they tend not to age as well.

lawmax3

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2013
I have some that has about 6 or 7 years age on it.

It has turned almost black, has mellowed and is an absolutely wonderful strong smoke.

Just picked up another bag to put in the cellar.

Oct 7, 2016
Dark Birds Eye was Tom Colwell's (co author of "Who Made That Pipe") favorite GH tobacco. He was instrumental in publicizing GH blends back in the 1980's before there was an official importer.
As stated multiple times above, smoke it dry and slow.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
After several bowls of this now over the last several days, I'm happy to report that it is even better than I had hoped. As Hawky said above, "Very bold flavor...full bodied, stout". Most definitely...full bodied as in a deep, rich flavor.
Likely a future unicorn blend that is available now...I'll certainly be getting more. Looking forward to trying it with some age on down the road, but even fresh this is really good stuff.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Now, Shhhhhhhh.
Don't worry...most won't try to buy it until after it's gone.
I think I'd have to say this is the richest tasting non-latakia blend I've tried.

Status
Not open for further replies.