PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
That's what I like about brown, the cigarish flavor. (Although it's murder on my tongue)

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
To be fair, my experience with black rope has been the Sam Gawith variety. I'm assuming the GH version is the same or similar but perhaps I'm wrong. In any case, my preference is brown bogie

Reactions: artvandelay007
That's what I like about brown, the cigarish flavor. (Although it's murder on my tongue)
This is just one of the reasons that I like to smoke these in my largest chambered pipes. Volume of smoke seems to tame the acridness and even counter-intuitively tames the nicotine for me a tad. At least, it is easier for me to finish a large bowl to the bottom than a smaller chambered pipe. YMMV

Reactions: oldgeezersmoker
Oct 7, 2016
This is just one of the reasons that I like to smoke these in my largest chambered pipes. Volume of smoke seems to tame the acridness and even counter-intuitively tames the nicotine for me a tad. At least, it is easier for me to finish a large bowl to the bottom than a smaller chambered pipe. YMMV
All the pipes I owned when I first started smoking GH tobacco in the 1980’s were at least Group 5 size, most larger. Never knew it was advisable to smoke them in small bowls until I started reading forums. So, I tried that, even going down to a k Castello the size of a Dunhill 1103 (Group One billiard.). Terrible. Descriptions like acrid, burned motor oil, over cooked grilled meat, etc., had me scratching my head until I tried using tiny pipes. Now I get them. Back to the GG Castellos. YMMV, of course.
I haven’t checked in a couple of weeks, but Boswell’s had a fair cross section of twists and ropes that they sell by the ounce. Watch City has a few, as does Mars. These are advertised as for the experienced smoker. I would strongly recommend not springing for a 500 g box until you have tried at least a few ounces of them.

jojoc

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 10, 2019
So I picked up a few 1oz samples of the Brown Rope. Question: how do you store this? small jar? Any issue with combining the Brown Bogie and the Brown Rum in the same jar, or do they need to be separate? Smell wise, I do not smell the topping on the rum.

artvandelay007

Can't Leave
Apr 11, 2018
Wichita, KS
So far my favorite G&H produced tobacco is Synjeco Bad Nun. It ends up being very expensive for us in the US but I’ll definitely be buying more.

My favorite rope they make, though not strong like many of their other blends, is Greenodd Rope also sold by Synjeco.

Reactions: danimalia

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Hmm... Never tried those Synjeco versions, but I see they also have Revor Plug which I've been dying to try, so maybe I'll just have to place an order.

@jojoc: Another tip that also really helped me to enjoy the rope. Use a cheap (or expensive, I guess) double-bladed guillotine cigar cutter to cut off thin slices from the rope. Then rub out and dry, and maybe trim the super long strands if necessary. I know some folks get frustrated slicing the rope, but the cigar cutter makes it super convenient.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Use a cheap (or expensive, I guess) double-bladed guillotine cigar cutter to cut off thin slices from the rope.
I cut them about the thickness of a dime. Let them dry, then layer the rubbed out in layers with the coin in between. NICE...

artvandelay007

Can't Leave
Apr 11, 2018
Wichita, KS
Hmm... Never tried those Synjeco versions, but I see they also have Revor Plug which I've been dying to try, so maybe I'll just have to place an order.

@jojoc: Another tip that also really helped me to enjoy the rope. Use a cheap (or expensive, I guess) double-bladed guillotine cigar cutter to cut off thin slices from the rope. Then rub out and dry, and maybe trim the super long strands if necessary. I know some folks get frustrated slicing the rope, but the cigar cutter makes it super convenient.
Revor Plug is awesome. It’s very dark, not as strong as the Dark Plug and smoother. I’m thinking the very pleasant scent tames it and makes it smoke like butter. It makes me want to try some of their scented varieties even though I’m not an aromatic smoker.

Status
Not open for further replies.