PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldmansmoking

Part of the Furniture Now
May 13, 2017
UK
I love E A Carey’s Sliced Black Twist until I took the plunge and bought some Gawith and Hoggarth tobacco from mysmokingshop.co.uk

They don’t ship outside the UK.

They are £1.50 cheaper per 50g than E A Carey’s.

I sold my dumbbells and weight plates so had a little money to spend.

I am getting old and with my on going health problems I was never going to use them again.

mysmokingshop deliver very quickly.

They do two types of Sliced Black and Brown Twist A and not A, I had no idea when I ordered what A stood for.

But later found out on another website A stands for Aromatic.
The discrimination on another web site state:
Gawith Hoggarth's Sliced Black 'A' Type (Aromatic) is produced by the age old method of hand spinning tobacco leaves into long ropes, also called twists. The twist tobacco is then sliced for your convenience and only needs to be rubbed gently before packing your pipe. Traditionally, twists were used as either a chewing tobacco, or were smoked in pipes that usually had small bowls. A popular choice for coal miners, where smoking was dangerous because it could cause explosions, a chunk of rope could be cut off and chewed. Once out of the mine, slices could be cut from the rope and rubbed into a pipe to be smoked.
Black twists are cooked for longer than brown, which gives a milder smoke with a deeper smoky aroma. Sliced Black 'A' Type (Aromatic) has been infused with liquorice, tonquin, maple and other traditional English flavourings. The result is a quaint, deep and slightly sweet flavoured tobacco that has a high nicotine content. If you've never smoked twist tobacco before, try using a small bowled pipe and smoke it slowly for a more tolerable nicotine level.
This tobacco is very dark brown, almost black, with a medium cut shag appearance and some remains of the original discs cut from the rope. It's easy to work with and burns effortlessly, giving good volumes of rich, satisfying smoke. There is no tongue bite but the high nicotine content is evident by a slight peppery sensation.

Manufactured by spinning tobacco dark fired leaves into a rope.
Kendal A Type Sliced Brown Twist Pipe Tobacco
Brown Bogie, otherwise known as Happy Bogie, is a true old fashioned stout smoke, perfect, with a good strength more suited for the experienced pipe smoker.

Sliced Brown Bogie has a high nicotine content like most twists. If this is your first time smoking a rope tobacco, try using a small bowl and smoke slowly for a more comfortable nicotine level. This tobacco is made from mature dark fired Virginia and a little dark air cured Virginia. It is dark brown with some lighter strands and appears like a coarse cut shag until further assay reveals coins of tobacco; the original slices of rope. It's easy to rub, pack and light these rich, earthy smelling Virginia coils which burn evenly and coolly. There's no fear of tongue bite, though the nicotine strength gives a somewhat peppery sensation to the smoke. There are flavours of cigar to this deep, mellow toasty tasting tobacco. A rewarding smoking experience that may suit the evening or times where a quick short smoke with a bit of pep is sought.
I am currently smoking the Brown which as stated is meant to be stronger than the Black. What a smoke, the Aromatic addition topping or casing makes it heavenly. It’s very strong I have had a few moments of Nicotine overload.

It’s the strongest tobacco I have smoked. E A Carey’s is rough and harsh compared to these two from Gawith and Hoggarth, the Aromatic was a mistake but a great one.

I have to say these two tobacco’s are my favourite tobacco’s I just wish I had found them earlier.

If you get the chance to purchase some don’t hold back.

Reactions: David_Lawrence

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
the rope sold as A (aromatic) has a topping similar to Dark Flake/plug scented,but you can get the ropes in other flavours too

oldmansmoking

Part of the Furniture Now
May 13, 2017
UK
Does Carey's make their own?
I like the Brown twists. Still need to try the Black version. Is the aromatic topping similar to the other Lakeland essences?
E A Carey’s is a distributor/online shop, I think they get the producer to tweek the product to their own recIpe

I don’t know the answer regarding Lakeland essence. The Aromatic flavour is something I have never experienced in any tobacco, it’s outstanding.

Well worth trying and the money.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Thanks. We get the rum, whiskey, coconut (!), and maple ropes here in the states, but i hadnt seen the aromatic, so i was curious. I've only had the plain brown, but i have to admit the thought of some of those flavored versions sound wonderful

Status
Not open for further replies.