G. L. Pease website down (or am I blocked)?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

echie

Can't Leave
Jul 7, 2014
Amsterdam
Hi all,
Every time I try to access http://www.glpease.com/ it seems to be down, and I just say "oh well" and move on. Today it actually occurred to me that the problem might be on my end :|
And, indeed, http://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/http://www.glpease.com/ says that the site is up. Perhaps my IP address is blocked? Does anyone someone I could talk to?

echie

Can't Leave
Jul 7, 2014
Amsterdam
Bloody nanny state!! :evil:
I can only assume they've blocked a large IP range which happens to include mine. From what I recall, I can access it neither from work (where I am now) nor from home.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
This simple URL works in N. CA: http://www.glpease.com.
Have you tried a different browser or cleared cookies from that site?
Location?

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Flush your DNS cache. Although some webmasters ban whole countries, it doesn't seem likely in this case.

echie

Can't Leave
Jul 7, 2014
Amsterdam
Well, it doesn't work at home, work or over 3G. So I don't think it's a single IP or even DNS. Looks like someone blocked ALL THE THINGS!!!1 :P
I tried using a proxy in the UK and managed to access the website, so I do think it's a country-wide block (or at least a very broad IP range). And, to top it off, I tried to use the contact form, but it keeps saying my email is invalid (even though it's not, and I tried several different ones).
Why are they avoiding me? I didn't *really* call anyone "aromatic", I swear :P
So, does anyone here have an email address of someone I can talk to?

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I tried using a proxy in the UK and managed to access the website, so I do think it's a country-wide block (or at least a very broad IP range).
Run a traceroute, see where the trail ends.

echie

Can't Leave
Jul 7, 2014
Amsterdam
I did, and it stops at their provider:

Code:
<br />
[rbp@stamppotje:~]$ traceroute glpease.com<br />
traceroute to glpease.com (66.117.154.117), 64 hops max, 52 byte packets<br />
(...)<br />
12  66-117-144-146.lmi.net (66.117.144.146)  191.262 ms  409.794 ms  209.532 ms<br />
13  * * *</p>
<p>[rbp@stamppotje:/Users/rbp]$ dig +short glpease.com<br />
66.117.154.117<br />
[rbp@stamppotje:/Users/rbp]$ dig +short -t soa glpease.com<br />
ns2.lmi.net. noc.lmi.net. 2015061600 14400 7200 3600000 86400<br />

So it's quite clear that the problem is at their end. I've had this before, IIRC, with this very forum. I contacted one of the moderators and they unblocked the range that included my IP (I can only assume some Dutch script kiddies find it funny to launch silly attacks from here)

...the Dutch kiddies throwing their wooden shoes into the machines. Well, I hope they get it sorted out. Why would you want to log into the blog anyways? Are you that much of a GLP fan? I mean, great if you are. But, I really like lots of company's products that I don't necessarily want to follow their blog. Wait, do you have both of your wooden shoes? Have you been clogging the Pease cogs? Let's see them shoes. :puffy:

P

pipebuddy

Greg told me he doesn't like you, that's why you're blocked from his site. :mrgreen:

echie

Can't Leave
Jul 7, 2014
Amsterdam
Cosmic: well, I am a fan, but the thing is that every now and then I hear of a new blog post and I can't read it. I also want to look at the tobacco list and their descriptions from there. So, no, it's no life-or-death matter (and I've not been able to access it for a long time before I decided to ask around or even check if it was only me). But a "good-to-have".
Greg should definitely sort this out, and call his next creation "Echie's Blend", to apologise. Or perhaps "Bloody Hell". Or at the very least "Cloggie" :)

P

pipebuddy

That's because he thinks a Brit gent liking aromatics is unbecoming.
Seriously, though, I have no idea why you're experiencing this IT difficulty. Were you looking for something specific on the website? Maybe I could be of assistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.