PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I agree. That many blends improve with age doesn't mean the maker is putting out shoddy products. I liked Sixpence out of the blocks, and my next order will include a jar to age.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I've grown to really like this blend. I bought a few tins when it was first released. Popped open a tin and decided that it smelled like an unwashed Elizabethan. OK, tin note not a winner, but what about the flavor? Hated it, really hated it. Stuck the tin away and forgot about it. Six months later, I come across the opened tin. To my surprise, it hadn't dried out, but it had dried enough to be at a perfect level for smoking. The filthy tin note had fled and what was left was a very enjoyable smoke. I'm letting the rest age for a couple of years.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Thanks for the review Andy, that was insightful. I'm starting to come to the conclusion that releasing immature tobaccos is a sign of a poor blender and/or an irresponsible manufacturer.
Well then I guess that all we have are poor blenders and irresponsible manufacturers, because just about everything benefits from a couple of years of shelf time.
From what I've read, manufacturers of an earlier generation or two, aged the tins for a bit before releasing them, but it's not how the game is played anymore.
Blenders would say that the tobacco is ready for consumption when released and is not immature whatsoever. They're correct. But it does improve in the container with a bit of time to let everything marry.
To paraphrase Mr. Germain, it's ready for consumption upon release. Quit fapping about with the product.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
From what I've read, manufacturers of an earlier generation or two, aged the tins for a bit before releasing them, but it's not how the game is played anymore.

Untrue. McClelland's still uses the playbook despite the fact that they're a modern blender. More recently, Brigham's sat on their tins for years to ensure quality before they began distribution of their new lines.

Blenders would say that the tobacco is ready for consumption when released and is not immature whatsoever. They're correct. But it does improve in the container with a bit of time to let everything marry.

Sure. The point is with C&D you can be sure that this is hyperbole but with either of the two above you can rely on it as fact.

To paraphrase Mr. Germain, it's ready for consumption upon release. Quit fapping about with the product.

Germain's is a great example of how maintaining high standards can impact market demand.

carbonmated

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 5, 2015
I keep hearing such good things about GL Pease and I am thinking of venturing forthwith thereunto. I have been a bit afraid of purchasing, however, because I hear some of the blends are quite heavy. I'll be coming from the Frog Morton ACP side of the isle so I'm not sure which Pease to try first. Thoughts?
G.L. Pease is an artist in my humble opinion. Frog Morton On the Town, to me is a G.L. Pease Chelsea Morning, only less refined and not as complex. Chelsea Morning is deeper, richer, bolder with a special something that On the Town is just missing. I love On the Town, but Chelsea Morning just provides a richness and texture that is an adventure. A fabulous blend. I recommend staring there if moving from Frog Morton.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
"Vinegar and overripe tomatoes."

I thought hmmm. Ive got a 1/2 tin here and thought Id open it up and smell it again. You know that description is dead on! I chuckled. Not one of my favorite blends but its not bad by any means.

"Vinegar and overripe tomatoes."

Hahaha pappymac

PS: Well, I do like vinegar on my sub sandwich. I'm gonna pack a bowl and see what this description does to my experience. Love this forum! :roll:

pipeanddrum

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2016
Thanks for posting this review. I have yet to sample this series of GL Pease tobaccos and each one seems like winner. I wonder, considering the blend of leaves and anise topping if anyone thinks Sixpence is similar to Orlik's Dark Strong Kentucky?

Status
Not open for further replies.