PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kane

Can't Leave
Dec 2, 2014
I have just opened a tin of G.L. Pease's Westminster and a tin of Maltese Falcon. I am really surprised at the difference in moisture between the two. The Westminster is moist, spongy and a little sticky. I would dry this a bit before I smoked it. The Maltese Falcon is very dry right out of the tin. It smokes great and taste wonderful, but it is so much drier than the Westminster. Just wondering if these different moisture levels are by design, or is it just a batch-by-batch or tin-by-tin variance? It seems like a master blender would control this, but if they're hitting one moisture level that they like for one blend, why not the same for all of their blends?

uncleblackie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 20, 2014
If I remember correctly, aren't they somewhat different cuts of tobacco?
I've never had a problem with Westminster being too moist. I did have a problem with the one tin of Maltese Falcon that I tried, in that the tobacco was slightly greasy and oily like a McClelland blend (one reason I don't like McClelland). It wasn't too moist, just greasy. It was a little light for my tastes as well and I ended up pitching it.
I read comments from someone somewhere else about not drying out tobacco because they trust that the blender knows what they're doing. This may not apply to all manufacturers/smokers, but I took this advice and it has worked out well for me. Granted, I mainly smoke GLP and Esoterica products.

escioe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 31, 2013
I've experienced batch to batch variation with Pease tins. Sometimes I have to dry one out a little, but I'd say 80% of them come pretty much in the smoking sweet spot.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
C&D produces GLP and tins it. Greg has had a long association with Craig Tarler and company and I doubt that he's unaware of what happens with his blends. C&D is known for packaging tobacco on the dryer side. Craig was famous for saying that he didn't believe in shipping water. No doubt some blends will have a higher moisture level than others but I've never encountered any serious problems with any of them.

kane

Can't Leave
Dec 2, 2014
No problem, it's very nice, but a big diff between the two. Anyway, very nice baccy regardless. But I don't think I'd want the MF any drier than it is right out of the tin. Much drier than Black House (which happen to really like) if that makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.