PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahmadothman

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 26, 2016
Egypt
This blend is unique, from a lot of prespectives. Starting with name itself, Gaslight. Such an interesting name for a tobacco, quite flamboyant as well, I might add. It has a simple, serene tin design, and a note by good ole G.L. saying that inside lies a mystery. And he isn't exactly wrong. When you pop up the tin, you'll find three covers to the tobacco, one with literature and two clean, and underneath is two crude brownie looking kakes, with a strong, dominant and almost commanding Latakia aroma. It is nearly at perfect moisture, but to really enjoy, 10-15 minutes of drying time is not bad. Just enough to make yourself a drink or so. The kake crumbles easily and packs well and tight (if you want). And once first lit, it is a journey to behold. Nothing like I have tried. It speaks Latakia forward and foremost. No doubt about it, and yet it isn't the incense, woody, sweet or creamy Latakia in other blends, but more powerful, explicit smoky Latakia. My first taste impression was camp fire. Or a meat smoking station. Strong, pungent, however in the most delightful way. take a few puffs, or more than a few and another taste hits. This time it is of black coffee seeds, the charred ones beyond dark roast.. That rich, welcoming aroma at a barista station in an old coffeeshop. And now the feeling of a camp fire is absolutely complete. It keeps a smooth, even burn and a unified, strong flavour profile throughout the bowl. Not a dull moment and not a spiky one. definitely one of the most intriguing and interesting blends I have had. I am not sure it'll make my rotation. But I certainly enjoy it and will savor every puff of it. It has generous amount of nicotine. Wouldn't call it high, but you feel the nicotine when you start the bowl. But of course your mileage may vary on that point. My recommendation is definitely try this at least once. And then see if you'll be drawn to the light, the gaslight.

14681654_10157582775985203_4650775191114687540_n.jpg

stbruno70

Jul 9, 2013
Gaslight is unlike any other Lat blend I have had before.
I find it very tight and slow smoking - this is not a quick 10 minute break smoke.
Many spice and incense notes...
And since Gaslight was introduced after the FDA cut-off date, I have been stockpiling it furiously. In about two years or less, you will not be able to buy it.

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
Gaslight is my #1 smoke and with the turn of the temps, I've been dipping into my stockpile for evening smokes.
I too will be stocking up with the 1/2 lb tins for the next 24 months as to ensure I have enough for the duration.

mackeson

Mar 29, 2016
I too will be stocking up with the 1/2 lb tins for the next 24 months as to ensure I have enough for the duration
No,no,nonononononononono - They're all joking. It's foul stuff. don't touch it with a thirty-nine-and-a-half foot pole!
Did that sound convincing? --sigh--

Yeah, it's great stuff. One I've been loving also.

mackeson

Mar 29, 2016
yup. I'll go there any chance I get.
To the OP. I'm continually amazed at the layers of flavor that come through in such a latakia heavy blend. This could be my one and only lat blend if I had to pick. Please don't make me pick though. I love variety

ahmadothman

Apr 26, 2016
Egypt
Hahaha. No picking on my side. I like variety as well.

And indeed it's a very unique Latakia blend

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
Gaslight's one of my favorites too! This thread is reminding me I need to stockpile more!

:puffy:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I hope a little age doesn't diminish Gaslight. This review has prompted me to put my sealed tin closer to the pipe lighting area, since it may not last, in full flavor, for so long. I think I've had mine for probably two years. A tin of Westminster, though really impressively complex when opened, lost its Lat mojo in a rush and ended up a blending base for some dark fired and other leaf to bring it back to smokeable. It just went flat. This is a great Gaslight review, specific and thoughtful, and I really appreciate the analytical touch. Another Forums post got me to crack my Royal Yacht and I like it so well, I bought an extra tin.

ahmadothman

Apr 26, 2016
Egypt
Well, I dunno how it will age to be honest. I plan to consume my tin.. But I presume since it is latakia heavy, it may lose some of its flavour

hakchuma

Jan 13, 2014
Gaslight and black frigate really hold up to the hype. I feel sad every bowl of gaslight I smoke because that's one less bowl of gaslight I'll have when I'm done!

ahmadothman

Apr 26, 2016
Egypt
Haven't tried Black Frigate, but definitely gaslight is something.. It got me quite interested in trying other GL blends.. I have a tin of Cairo coming and probably will try Robusto and Quiet nights as well..

Also, if you like it a lot, time to stock up.. It's a post 07 blend and probably will disappear in a couple of years

tobaccojoe

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 30, 2016
USA
I grabbed up a few tins of Gaslight last week. I really appreciate this review and love that you include a picture. I have a sweet spot for Gaslight, and a few other GL Pease blends, and decided to throw some into the cellar, no matter if the latakia "dulls" some over time.

ahmadothman

Apr 26, 2016
Egypt
Great to know I helped.. And yes, it is a great blend indeed.. Hope you enjoy your cellar.. And a side note, it may be discontinued soon.. So stock up if you really like it

josephcross

Dec 30, 2015
Im a newcomer to this blend, and Quiet Nights. I love them both. Im cellaring them regardless of how they may age.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Great review! Gaslight is one of my favorites for fall/winter.......... One of GLP's best in my opinion.......... :puffy:

Im a newcomer to this blend, and Quiet Nights. I love them both. Im cellaring them regardless of how they may age.
Hey Josephcross- if you like those two, try Westminster. That one is my all time favorite blend, and yes, it does age very well........ :)

ahmadothman

Apr 26, 2016
Egypt
Thanks, all for your feedback.. I am glad I could be of help..
As for cellaring, I assume that anyone who likes this blend in particular and maybe some other GL Pease blends needs to cellar as much as they can, since according to FDA new bullocks rules, they will be discontinued in a couple of years. Unless Good ole Greg can pull a rabbit out of the hat and find a way to continue doing them.
I plan to get a few US blends as well to stock them.. Since they are either out of production or being hit by FDA rules

Status
Not open for further replies.