PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

scrooge

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
One of these days I'll pop one of my tins. Sounds Good.

@ anthonyrosenthal Nice looking guy there. SCROOGE!

josephcross

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
Thanks Beefeater33 for the recommend. Ive been eyeing this one for a while now. Im going to grab a couple of tins next order.

ahmadothman

Apr 26, 2016
Egypt
It's a great blend.. Very strong and pungent, though.. It won't get you any friends.. Except Latakia lovers

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
I'm smoking my first bowl of this blend now. Perfect afternoon to sit outside here Ohio with the ballgame on the radio and a cup of coffee. This is good stuff. Easily sliced and rubbed out, on the damp side but it dries fine. Wonderful aroma, smoky and spicy. The flavor seems best on the back of the tongue. I can see why this can make one stop chasing Penzance. I'll be putting a few tins away...soon.

Mike S.

mackeson

Mar 29, 2016
I'm looking forward to tasting this as an aged blend - seeing which flavors come forward, meld or recede. I love it fresh, and keep opening tins before they have the chance to age though.

My guess is that this one aged will end up being one of those sweet, mouth-filling and buttery blends. I could be very wrong though --wouldn't be the first time. I guess I'll just have to wait.

mackeson

Mar 29, 2016
Another GL Pease favorite of mine in the Latakia range, even though it's different from Gaslight, is Sextant.

+1

I found Sextant quite by accident in a local cig/cigar store that mostly only carries Sutliff blends. It was sitting alone on a shelf marked down to about $6 and I thought, "A GLP blend I haven't tried, ah what the hell." I ended up buying several more tins from other places after that.

ahmadothman

Apr 26, 2016
Egypt
Well, that's great.. I guess GL Blends are awesome.. I have a tin of "Cairo" on the way.. Since it is where I live and GL said it inspired him to make the blend, so I couldn't resist

ahmadothman

Apr 26, 2016
Egypt
Yeah, I can feel you Mike. I normally have any expected nic bombs at home.. It had an initial powerful kick.. One of the very few I had.

stbruno70

Jul 9, 2013
@Ahmad Othman
I have been to Cairo twice, and find it a fascinating place.
As for the Pease blend of that name, it is wonderful. A while ago I had a ten year old tin of Cairo, and was amazed by how richly it had aged.

stbruno70

Jul 9, 2013
@guyrox, mackeson:
I am glad to hear that you like Greg's Sextant. It is a fine variation on the Navy flake, and the smokey bitterness of the lat plays so well with the dark sweetness of the rum.
Years ago, Greg shared a pre-production sample of Sextant with us one evening. We sat on a balcony overlooking Mill Valley, watching the stars emerge and puffing on this extraordinary flake. Pure magic.
Alas, this too will vanish because of the FDA...grrr...

stbruno70

Jul 9, 2013
@Cossackjack:
The new FDA rules state that any tobacco product not for sale on Feb 15, 2007 will be subject to testing and certification procedures. It is widely believed in the industry that such procedures will be so costly and time consuming that any product failing that date will be forced off the market.
Greg Pease says on his website that the following blends are at risk:
"Embarcadero

Union Square

Maltese Falcon

The Virginia Cream

Key Largo

The entire Old London Series [this includes Sextant and Gaslight]

The entire New World Collection"
Over time, crops change in terms of cost, quality and supply, and sometimes manufacturers may make substitutions or adjustments. Conceivably the FDA could say that an adjusted blend, made since the beginning of time, is now a new mixture and this subject to the burdensome testing regime. That is to say, no blend is safe.
If you love a mix, hoard it now.

ahmadothman

Apr 26, 2016
Egypt
@stbruno70 couldn't have said it better.. Unfortunately G.L has told me this himself.. We got max of two years to enjoy these blends before they go bye.. Thanks, Murica

Status
Not open for further replies.