Status
Not open for further replies.

leacha

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
Slider_Cobbit_Special_2014_2.jpg

Jan 8, 2013
Seriously? Now don't get me wrong, I love... I mean LOVE The Lord Of The Rings. Been a fan since childhood. I even talk about it here on the forums whenever the topic comes up. But I am actually kind of tired of so many people trying to cash in on it all the time just because there is pipe smoking involved in the stories and the movies. Here's a little something to check out. Search Churchwarden on Ebay and you'll see a ton of pipes with nothing in common with Lord of The Rings other than being long stemmed pipes labeled as churchwarden LOTR, churchwarden hobbit pipe, Lord of The Rings Pipe, Churchwarden Wizard/Gandalf...etc, etc, etc. It's really quite ridiculous. And that's all I see in the above pipes. Just a bunch of MM cobs they put longer stems on and now their doing the same thing. Ok. Rant over.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
While the marketing is hoaky, thats actually pretty badass. Whats really cool is the stem is based on a couple old H&B "Birdie" pipes I gave Phil earlier this year. He was excited that he could put the new design in production with shanks and bowls they already make. I see how quick he made it happen! That was in June, so 6 months and it's already hitting the market.

Jan 8, 2013
Don't get me wrong, I love the new pipes. I just wish they could have called them something different, and I felt the need to rant a little... I think I'm just grumpy tonight.

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
When your making millions of dollars off of a concept such as this one... I would do the same thing. As unoriginal and cheesy as the whole churchwarden/ hobbit thing is, people are obviously making money off of it, so in that sense I really cant blame them for taking a piece of the pie. The pipes above look pretty cool though, I love the way cobs smoke and with the long stem it might be a pretty great experience.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
Anthony look at it another way, they were making cob pipes in the MM factory in Washington Missouri 68 years before Tolkien published "The Hobbit". 8)

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Also features a genuine, hardwood insert in the bottom and an Italian vulcanite bit.
I like the fact of the vulcanite bit myself! I'll buy a couple...

vfefrenzy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 4, 2014
It's hard to be angry at someone who can pull off this level of punnery. I will definitely be ordering one of these in the next 6 months.

Jan 8, 2013
Anthony look at it another way, they were making cob pipes in the MM factory in Washington Missouri 68 years before Tolkien published "The Hobbit".
And therefore should not have to stoop to the hobbit craze like so many others ;) Haha! The pipes are nice. From what I understand MM hasn't made a churchwarden in quite some time. They'll probably sell well on reputation alone, plus the long stems.

Status
Not open for further replies.