PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

skydog

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2017
I certainly also agree that much of the barrel craze is just shenanigans (pistol whip anyone?). But I was quite surprised with the latest from Glenfiddich. I didn't realize they did a peated malt and the combination with rum casks is quite flavorful. I picked a bottle up on my pre tariff stock up.
View attachment 4981

I enjoyed the bottle I had of that, it was interesting to see a peated Glenfiddich. Not enough peat for my tastes so I won't be buying again but I'm glad to see more scotch distilleries producing peated malts.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Au contraire, Scotch is very trendy at the moment. Combine this with the amount of people that can afford a more expensive bottle (vs. say 20 years ago) and we are now seeing shortages, especially in the more aged versions.

Whisky lounges are popping up all over the place as well. My guess is, Glenlivet wanted to get that "double barrel" on their label.

I can remember MacCallan 25 for $699/bottle. Now its two grand. Nothing has changed other than it's slightly less available now and more people can, and are willing to, pay that much.

That's a big change over the years in price! I am aware that single malts, as well as bourbon, have become much more popular in recent years. By "scotch isn't trendy" I meant mainly that scotch doesn't need to be repackaged and updated and redesigned with whatever the du jour label style might be. The "dusty old label" so to speak is perfectly fine and might even confer some marketing benefit. I'm sure that the people at Glenlivet did their market research and came to the opposite conclusion and decided to make the update. I just like the old design better.

Thank you for the recommendations. I'm a long time bourbon drinker and only got into scotch a couple years ago when one of my friends gave me a bottle of Laphroaig cask strength as a gift, so there are still a million bottles I haven't tried. I'm still working my way through the basics.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
I can remember MacCallan 25 for $699/bottle. Now its two grand. Nothing has changed other than it's slightly less available now and more people can, and are willing to, pay that much.

I remember buying Macallan 25 in the early nineties for about 350 CAD, wooden box with straw and all. I thought it was prohibitive then, especially since the 18 was a better malt and was half the price.

Oh, to be able to go back with foreknowledge.

Reactions: lawdawg and shanez
Status
Not open for further replies.