PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

geopiper

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2019
Bought my first 50-gram tin of OGS and opened it a month ago. Liked it a lot so I bought several 100-gram tins to jar up and age. I was expecting the 100-gram tin to have 2x as much tobacco in it as the 50-gram tin. Upon opening the 100-gram tin I was struck by how much more tobacco the tin had in it. To me it seemed like there was at least 3x as much tobacco in it, maybe a bit more. As I was cutting the long flake from the 100-gram tin into half I thought "there's no way this is what came in my 50-gram tin".
What gives?
(hope I didn't just let out a big secret)

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
Don't confuse weight with volume. Depending on how dry the tobacco was going in, you can have huge variance in the amount of leaves with the same weight.
For example, D&R tobacco comes in smaller weights than a lot of other guys, but they ship their tobacco very dry, so D&R tins are absolutely stuffed. However, I've never had a 100gr tin of OGS, so you may be on to something after all.

geopiper

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2019
I would assume they are weighing the tobacco with a high level of accuracy. Maybe it is a volume issue between wetter or drier tobacco. Now I'm surprised the wetness of the same blend can vary that much.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
My recollection of the packaging process I saw in a video from Mac Baren looked like flakes were packaged mechanically with a fixed number of flakes. I would assume Orlik’s process would be similar. This was my impression, however— not a confirmed fact. I would hope there’s a process to weigh the filled tins to ensure that the proper amount was placed in the tin, but quite likely not.
I recently divided two tins of Germain’s-produced tobaccos, both packaged within the last year. Both were short by a few grams. Since they’re packaging at 2 oz rather than 1.75 oz, it doesn’t particularly bother me, but I was somewhat surprised. These were packaged in different styles of tins and distributed by different companies. I dont really know whether it was the manufacturer or distributors whoactually tinned these tobaccos.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Tabac-Manil Semois is packaged in foil rectangular packages and is very dry, so you get a lot more pipe bowls per package than you might think from the weight. It does burn fairly fast, so I use deep more narrow chambers to slow it down and extend it a little.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
As I was cutting the long flake from the 100-gram tin into half I thought "there's no way this is what came in my 50-gram tin".

I'm curious ... were the contents of this mysterious tin a great big, rolled up flake (as opposed to a bunch of nicely cut rectangles or something similar)? The last time I picked up OGS, I got the big tin; my "flake" was just one, great big sheet of flake that was rolled up and crammed into the tin. I couldn't have been happier. Sure, there's more prep (either cutting for fold-and-stuff, or ripping off a hunk and rubbing it out), but I sure felt prosperous, relatively speaking. :puffy:
I'm sure it was properly measured and my perception was distorted by the unusual presentation, but it sure looked and felt like more than 100g. Your experience similar?

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
I know what you mean though. The 50 gram tins do seem rather puny after using the 100 gram.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
Is the 100g flake in a roll, like the Reiner Blend 71 Long Golden Flake?

I had to google some images to see what the Reiner product looks like ... now I'm going to have to try some of that! :puffy:
The OGS wad was a long sheet of flake a a little wider than the diameter of the round tin; it was folded roughly in half lengthwise like a sleeping bag, then folded into a flattened roll.

geopiper

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2019
The flake in my 100-gram tin looks like it started out at 1-foot long then was folded in half, then in half again and finally flattened into the tin. It looked like one of those label ribbons people wear to commemorate some awareness month or tragedy.

Status
Not open for further replies.