Status
Not open for further replies.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
I just had to share this email that made me laugh. This came through the contact form here on the site.
Your Name: Richard

Message: I was browsing some pipe images and your website claimed I was stealing or "hot linking" (I don't even know what that is) images. I was just browsing images! I hope you fall down stairs, jerk! I will hide you magazine at the store so that fewer people buy it.
There are many sites that will "hotlink" images, meaning that they display them on their site, but pull from your server. This results in these other sites using your bandwidth and resources that you pay for to show content on their site. Some sites allow this, like when you embed a YouTube video.
However, we were getting A LOT of sites hotlinking our images and I got tired of it. I think they are lazy. They should download the image, then upload it to their own server to show on their site.
I put in some programming that shows a default image with a message on it when a site does this. Many still do it anyway, and don;t even pay attention to do something about it.
For an example, go here and click the thumbnail in the upper left.
http://picsdigger.com/image/066a81a9/
Anyway, the email cracked me up.
I am thinking of offering him a full refund.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Richard must live near me, because I've had no luck finding your magazine at the store -- and I spend hours looking for it every time I go.

Status
Not open for further replies.