PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Want to have some fun? Get out some of your unopened tins and review the constituent tobaccos in the various blends and read the reviews. Boy do I have some choice ones waiting in line. I'd forgotten just why I chose Stanwell's Jubilee, McClellands Dark Star, C&D Riverboat Gambler, Low Country Cooper, and others. Other great ones I've received as gifts. I'm not sure how non-pipe-smokers chose so well. I may not do it, but I could coast for a few years just enjoying what's on hand. But there is that Russ O. trial Balkan blend ... no wonder I never get some of these great tins opened. I'm also looking forward to my two tins of Sutliff Westminster (not to be confused with GLP's blend by the same name, which I do have open and am enjoying). For a kind of hit and miss process, I think I have some winners here. Ever checked out your inventory like this?

skraps

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
I tend to not have much that I haven't tried already, but it's always interesting to go through the cellar and see what I have forgotten about. Was searching for something the other day and was amazed by some of the blends I hadn't realize I had. Inevitably this leads me to having too many things open because I want to "refresh" my memory on this or that.
It's sort of like Christmas all over again.

nachman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2013
I need to get smoking. I have some untried Dark Star from 2006,some Jack Knife Plug dated 3/3/11,some Quiet Nights 4/26/10,some Bayou Morning Flake 11/17/10,some undated early Black House in the old style tin, and about 20 other blends I have never tried. That is the problem with being a Royal Yacht fiend. You buy things thinking they sound interesting and then go on smoking Royal Yacht and letting the other tins gather dust.

beezer

Jul 12, 2013
This is a fun idea. However, I've dedicated 2016 as the year I try and smoke through what I've already opened. I've got about 20 jars of various blends that I need to clear off my plate before I go and crack open some new stuff.
That said, I did go through my cellar the other day to take another inventory of the stuff I squirreled away the past few years and for some reason or another a tin of Vauen's English Blend Vanilla and a tin of Solani's English Luxury caught my eye. I'm tempted to crack these two open. I have no idea why I bought these blends. Must have added them to the cart for free shipping.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
^^^That's a trap I fall into more often than I would like to admit. I need to start rounding out my orders with pipe cleaners or balsa inserts instead.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
I have over 50 different blends in the cellar, and like you, forgot why I bought most. I can say that almost all were purchased because someone in this forum tried and highly recommended a blend.

meatballj

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 14, 2014
New Brunswick, Canada
Funny you should mention that mso489, that's to be my task after I've finished doing like beezer and cleared out my opened tins and jars. I smoke infrequently but winter seems to give me more time for the pipe so I'm looking into my meager cellar at a few promising options. Nothing overly aged but I've got a few tins of flakes that are calling out to me; McClelland's Blackwoods and Samuel Gawith's Balkan Flake and St. James Flake. Have yet to try any of those. My cellar has no repeats so I guess I'm still searching for that one magic blend to stick to.

davidintexas

Jun 4, 2013
Keep searching meatball. I've been searching for three years and I think I have it nailed down to somewhere in the burley or burley based category. Doesn't have to be pure burley but at least a blend with it in there. Yeah, I was going through mine last night and saw several I had forgotten about

brudnod

Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
I'm in the same boat as Beezer; already have too many open to justify opening others. That being said, I always manage to find a way to open some of my favorite blends and delay the consuming of the lesser appreciated. 2016 may be the year, and then again maybe not...

Status
Not open for further replies.