PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
I spent a few hours yesterday sifting through family photos and mementos. One that delighted me was this photo of my great grandfather, Harry Carlton Cummins working in his art studio in LaPorte City, Iowa in roughly 1888, while smoking a corncob pipe. He was an interesting fellow best known for his work creating circus art for U.S. Tent and Awning in Chicago, which supplied Barnum and Bailey. Folks from Chicago might also remember the facade of the Aladdin's Castle Funhouse at Riverview. That was his work as well.
The paintbrush behind his ear reminds me of Brian Levine, who stashes his pipe cleaners there.
1561224917133-a8394f31-e5e6-45f0-b44f-44c8f6175101-XL.jpg

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
That is very cool.
I haven't thought about Riverview Park in a long time.
I grew up on N. Kilbourn near Belmont until 1969 when our parents moved us all out to Crystal Lake. We lived like 3 miles from Riverview. My parents took us to Riverview a few times. I was a little kid and have faint memories of it.
Thanks for jogging my memories.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Boy, that photo rings some bells from the distant past. It's a great portrait of your great grandfather, really showing him in his life and element. I remember the Aladdin entrance from old TV ads and photos. When I was commuting to college in the late sixties, I remember sighting Riverview Park, then long-closed, the roller coaster and parachute drop, and then of course one day it was gone. What a tremendous visual family legacy.

Reactions: UncleRasta

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Great history there, Craig. I went to Riverview several times during the mid to late 50's, and a little more frequently to the roller skating rink across the street on Western Ave. The American Pickers reality TV show did an episode or two involving circus and tent art -- apparently highly collectible stuff.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
It looks to me like he’s wearing a beret. Allegedly, he had an offer from a benefactor to go to Paris to study, but his adoptive mother begged him not to go.
The most famous of the circus banner artists is Fred Johnson. His work is extremely valuable. I found a book which mentions that it was my great grandfather, whose health was failing, who was Johnson’s mentor. Johnson had no formal art training.

mau1

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
Ontario, Canada
Now that is special. Try and imagine what life was like back in 1888. Your great grandfather looks like he was in his mid-twenties. Thanks for sharing both pictures.

Reactions: UncleRasta

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Jeeze, craig', it took me a second look at the original post to realize how strong a resemblance you have to your great grandpa! It could be the younger you dressed to play the part. Complete with pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.