PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lostandfound

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2011
Here I sit, at 9:33 PM, smoking some well-aged FVF for the third time.
My thoughts so far: I like the flavor, and the qualities the leaf posesses; although, I seem to find that Kendal tobaccos are very characteristically "Kendal", in nature. I guess this is could be said of all blending houses. It certainly requires some drying time, but not so much as to be a nuisance.
Other than that, I'm tempted to say that this would be a better flake for early in the day, and this temptation is what led me to consult with my fellow flake enthusiasts. I'd contemplate swapping out a bowl of Dunhill Flake for this in the morning, but I just can't say no to DF at 6:00 AM. There just doesn't seem to be as much "oomph" as I would expect from something labeled Full Virginia Flake.
Thoughts/opinions?

mountainman

Can't Leave
May 4, 2012
I never felt it is a "first" smoke of the day. I lean towards dunhill flake or capstan yellow as some nice, mellow, and bright first smokes of the day. FVF maybe mid-day, and ODF to end the day. :)
Bur really, FVF is just too finicky and not something I go out of my way too smoke. I do have a 3 year old tin that I am sitting on. Maybe I will crack it soon.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Hell... I can't stand the thought of smoking my first bowl until about 2 or 3 in the afternoon so I guess that leaves me out! lol

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
and I have found that I taste so much more flavor in this one when it's crunchy.
I've been drying to the fairly crispy point lately as well with good results.
In another recent thread, however, I was told by a reliable source that this is a sure way to LOSE flavor.
Confusing at times this hobby is.

- Yoda

lostandfound

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2011
Old Dark Fired is my go-to bedtime flake, brother. That, or 965, but that's a rare occurance. I've found a few flakes I like with my coffe, but so far, ODF is the only flake I smoke at night. I'm trying to find a few more to throw in the mix. Apparently, FVF is not one of them though.
I wouldn't describe DF as being "bright" though... Seems deeper than that. I don't know, maybe I equate "bright" with "green", "young", and "fresh"- which are put simply, characteristics I try to avoid.
@cobguy: I dried my first bowl to a crisp as well, and was notably unimpressed. I dried my second and third bowls to a lesser degree, the third being the most moist, and found the the third bowl to be the most enjoyable of the three- yet still, unfulfilling. I'm not saying I dislike it. I mean, this was my third bowl. Come on. Still though, I was surprised at my lack of appreciation for it.
I will say this. It's ponderous. It's kind of fun not quite understanding a certain tobacco, and smoking it for the purpose of "getting" it, and going from there.

Cobguy, yeh, I've heard that also for some folks. I think it goes back to when guys would suggest that aromatics should hold together when you pinch it in your fingers, but that doesn't translate well for non-aros, IMO. For most non-aros, I find that I get more flavor from dry. But, some blends I prefer there to be some moisture. It's just a trial and error thing, and personal tastes. I would be most hesitant to take a suggestion from someone who refuses to even try drying out a flake to try it.

Jan 8, 2013
I love it, but it does need proper prep. Pull the flakes, let them sit an hour or two, then rub them out some. Let it sit out to dry overnight from there, then rub it out fully just before packing. Not quite enough.nicotine for my first bowl of the day, but damn it, once I am out of WA it will probably be my second bowl most days.

Jan 8, 2013
I find I get the most flavor out of FVF in my Hilson, it's a long skinny chimney with a tall narrow chamber. If you have a similar pipe, try prepping it the way I do, then smoke it in that pipe. Also, if you find some of those odd paper thin flakes, they rub out to a moss like texture and taste fantastic. In three tins I have only seen them turn up in one though.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I agree on the taller chimney style for Virginias ... the OD Cob loves 'em!
As for dryness, it looks like a 4 to 1 vote for drying it quite a bit so far.
ODF is good anytime ... especially with black coffee!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I smoke FVF as a third smoke of the day usually. I like a lighter flake like Dunhill or F&T CVP first, then something like Wessex Campaign Brigade or Astleys no 44 second, then FVF. I have found my best results with FVF is when I cube cut it into very small cubes let it dry enough and then use a group 4 Dublin, or Apple or Rhody. Of my 28 flakes FVF is the most finicky but after enough trial and error, I have found what works best for me. I do not let it dry so it is crispy, it still has a bit of spring to it when I smoke it.

macattack

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 20, 2012
I find that Full Virginia Flake and St. James Flake for that matter to be too finicky. The flavors aren't worth the aggravation. Too many other blends out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.