PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rayje589

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2012
So I recently got into pipe smoking and have not tried many tobaccos (selections in local smoke shops is kind of limited) I tried (and liked) captain black white. I would like to try more but not sure where to go from here. Any recommendations?

captainbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 5, 2010
I agree with "rothnh".
Those are great selections. The best advice is to not feel like you have to try very blend out there, as there are way too many! Make note of what you like and its tobacco ingredients. Chart a course from that point and move forward. Never hesitate to ask those on this Forum for suggestions as you will be given good direction. However, the taste buds are your own and if you pay attention to your likes and dislikes, your search will be better served.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
There's nothing wrong with Aromatics. For a real treat, email Jack Lee info@jackleeblend.com and order some Halfling's Leaf, Honey Malt or Yule Pudding.
You should also try some Virginia and Virginia/Perique blends (VaPer): Escudo Navy Deluxe, Louisiana Red, Sam Gawith Full Virginia Flake, and MacBaren HH Mature Virginia are some good ones.
Then there is Latakia blends. You can try a mild English like Dunhill Nightcap or Early Morning Pipe. Both good. Or you can go right for the deep end of the pool and get some H&H Black House, H&H Magnum Opus, Peter Stokkebye Balkan Supreme or GL Pease Sextant.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
The best advice is to not feel like you have to try very blend out there, as there are way too many!
"+1" is not adequate to voice my agreement with this post.
And welcome to the forum. The best advice I can give you,other than the above, is to take your time, and give blends a chance. Try several bowlfuls. If it doesn't immediately click for you,put the rest in a mason jar and set it aside for a while. It might work for you later. I still find blends that I am not impressed with on the first bowl, but after 3 or 4, in different pipes, I begin to understand and enjoy it.

rayje589

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2012
Thanks for all the suggestions. Out of all the recommendations dunhill's early morning pipe sounded like something I'd like so I guess I'll start there.

rondyr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 19, 2012
Bel Air, MD
If you like aromatics, I'd suggest some Black Brigadier Gettysburg from pipesandcigars.com. It's got a peach casing to it that is not overwhelming and does not have a nasty chemical taste. It's one of the very few flavored tobaccos I've come across so far that doesn't taste like you're smoking a candle.
And welcome to the Nuthouse!

captainbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 5, 2010
I strongly agree with JUD. Don't toss a blend without giving it a "time-warp" chance. Label it and close it up in a jar for a while and then re-visit it. Always give your pipes a chance to dry. Keep them clean and don't "sour" them by repeated smokes (like, one pipe all day). What you don't like today, you may savor a year from now!

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
+1 On the Brigadier Black series from P&C. I tried Bull Run and it's a mild but tasty vanilla blend. If you liked Captain Black you will aprreciate these aromatics. They have a great room note but way more to offer in flavor than Captain Black!

rayje589

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2012
I just got my order from pipesandcigars.com. I got dunhill's early morning pipe and mclealand's holiday spirit 2012. I'll let you guys know how I like them.

smokey422

Can't Leave
Nov 20, 2011
How about trying a sampler from Pipes and Cigars H&H line? You could call them and talk to Russ O. or one of their other employees about your preferences. Another really good sampler deal can be had from Cornell and Diehl. Again, talk to them, they are experts at helping beginners. P&C is at 800-494-9144 and C&D is at 800-433-0080. Smokey

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
+1
Now someone is thinking :) Also keep in mind we do tobacco trades here, find something you don't like, trade it off. If people know your a new smoker, they will usually give you quite a few free samples along with the trade or they will give you a small amount of a bunch of tobaccos for a larger amount of what you don't like. I went from no idea what I enjoyed to having too many blends I truely love this way. All I can say now is thanks guys, I am in pipe heaven now.

Status
Not open for further replies.