PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahmadothman

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 26, 2016
Egypt
Well, as a tobacco with such reputation, I expected more. And here lies the problem. This is good tobacco, but it lacks a lot of depth and personality.. I tried Frog Morton on the town before this from Frog Morton line, and it delivers well on all aspects. But Cellar doesn't.. From the tin note, the very strong note, you'd expect a very strong, flavourful tobacco. With promising whiskey and latakia flavour and aroma. But when you pack it and smoke, You get a faint rum taste or an after taste to be exact, and a very faint sweet latakia, a trademark of McClelland. And speaking of packing, the cut is all over the place, from small ribbons, to large ones, with a lot of unkempt leaves and a considerable amount of twigs. Which is a bit annoying, but since it requires a considerable amount of drying time, I could pick up the twigs. Once packs and lights it's a nice, light, all day smoke. With medium body and faint flavour. I will enjoy the tin, but won't order another
Pipes Used: Peterson Derry B27, Peterson System Ebony XL315, Peterson Pipe of the year 2014 Ebony
Age When Smoked: Fresh tin

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Good review, it always amazes me how tastes differ. Of all the Frog's, this is the only one I like and have represented in my cellar (no pun intended). It's a great crossover blend.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I like both the FMC and OTT, but seem to smoke Whiskey Biscuit Gravy from Just For Him more. Everyones tastes are different, sooo..... smoke what you like, and like what you smoke.

By the way that twig in the FMC is a piece of whiskey barrel stave. Ha, Ha

ahmadothman

Apr 26, 2016
Egypt
Good review, it always amazes me how tastes differ. Of all the Frog's, this is the only one I like and have represented in my cellar (no pun intended). It's a great crossover blend.
Yeah..indeed.. different taste..and it's highly praised. So indeed folk see something in it. Just not me :)

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
That's so strange. Mine never really needs any drying time and I don't really remember any issues with the cut or twigs. I'll have to smoke a bowl tonight.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've had an unopened tin on hand for quite a while, given to me by a Forums member. Over time, I've become accustomed to full-strength non-aromatic blends, but lately I've moved back to some milder, and some aromatic blends in my rotation. From this review, I wouldn't expect FM Cellar to be an immediate hit with me, however, what I have also discovered is that when a blend is just too quite for me, it often helps to pick it up with a stronger leaf or two, blending tobaccos or another stronger blend. Often this will bring up surprising taste in the combination. I do need to open my FMC, if only to capture the Lat before it goes flat, which Lat does do, as with a tin of GLP Westminster that went from lively to almost silent (in terms of flavor). Good review! You kept it brief but informative, with good observations/specifics. Hope you do reviews from time to time, as you like.

ahmadothman

Apr 26, 2016
Egypt
That's so strange. Mine never really needs any drying time and I don't really remember any issues with the cut or twigs. I'll have to smoke a bowl tonight.
Maybe it is just my tin..and maybe your tin was already dried a bit

ahmadothman

Apr 26, 2016
Egypt
I've had an unopened tin on hand for quite a while, given to me by a Forums member. Over time, I've become accustomed to full-strength non-aromatic blends, but lately I've moved back to some milder, and some aromatic blends in my rotation. From this review, I wouldn't expect FM Cellar to be an immediate hit with me, however, what I have also discovered is that when a blend is just too quite for me, it often helps to pick it up with a stronger leaf or two, blending tobaccos or another stronger blend. Often this will bring up surprising taste in the combination. I do need to open my FMC, if only to capture the Lat before it goes flat, which Lat does do, as with a tin of GLP Westminster that went from lively to almost silent (in terms of flavor). Good review! You kept it brief but informative, with good observations/specifics. Hope you do reviews from time to time, as you like.
Wise and informative as usual, mso..

And I started a tendency to do reviews nowadays.. I even have my page on tobaccoreviews.com if you want to check it out

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/user/31340

hakchuma

Jan 13, 2014
I love frog Morton cellar. Recently purchased 28 3.5oz cans to keep me busy for the next half decade.

josephcross

Dec 30, 2015
Nice review. Though I am not a FMC fan, I think the tin note is great. It seems that no matter how slow I sip it, FMC fries the heck out of my tongue. I really like On the Town, and could smoke it anytime.

ahmadothman

Apr 26, 2016
Egypt
Same here...And FMC is decent, but two tips for the burn.. Give it some dry time and don't pack tight.. Just do a gravity packing followed by a light tamp

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
I tried through all the frogs a few years ago, and came out with just the original being the one I repurchased, they are just too similiar to keep more than one on hand in my opinion and the the original kind of sums of the blend style for me.
Isaac

ahmadothman

Apr 26, 2016
Egypt
Except it doesn't have basma like On the town or Syrian Latakia like in across the pond. And not as strong as On the Bayou.. From my trials with FM blends.. The original is kind of the trunk of the tree.. It has the basic stuff, but not the fruit.. Then there's each blend.. I myself enjoy On The town more, as the basma and fragrant latakia are divine.. I don't enjoy cellar much.. And definitely across the pond bring Syrian Latakia to the mix.. And I guess On the bayou is just FM original x2

Status
Not open for further replies.