PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

spartacus

Lifer
Nov 7, 2018
Mesa, Arizona
Being new to pipes I started as an aromatic guy and figured I would always be that way. I really enjoy some of them and have a few favorites. I acquired some Frog Morton when I bought some pipes that were for sale locally. He had a box of jarred tobacco and I gave him $100 for it. It had some McClellands and Dunhill’s in it so I figured what the heck. I’m not sure what it is about this stuff but it was awesome. I envisioned it being a very harsh, make my head spin smoke. For me it has a very earthy, campfire, sweetness to it. It’s my first non-aromatic and I’m really enjoying it. Since this is no longer around what other tobaccos can you guys suggest?

midwestpipesmoker70

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2011
IL
Trying to find a match of any favorite blend can be an impossible task but there are so many in any certain genre that you will find more favorites. I always keep Boswell's Northwoods on hand. To me it has that smokey sweetness. It is a great tobacco and you also support a B&M by purchasing from them (J.M. Boswell). It sounds like you happened upon some nice baccys, enjoy them because they are gone for good.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Members will have many good ideas for blends they enjoy. For your part, make a list of the constituent tobaccos in blends you have enjoyed and go looking for them in the tobacco pages of our sponsor sites and maybe others. Check out reviews on the ones that are likely prospects, and mention them on Forums to see if others have enjoyed them. I think your own research efforts on the vast array of available blends will be at least as effective as helpful suggestions. You may enjoy having a few blending tobaccos on hand to add as condiments to your hearts content -- Perique, Latakia, Turkish, black unflavored Cavendish, Virginia, burley, cigar leaf, etc.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I really like Frog Morton Cellar, and the comparable Iwan Ries Gourmet English. Both are now out of production, though I have quite a bit of each, so I have not yet looked for a replacement. There are several "aromatic English" blends on the market, and any of them might work as a good replacement in your rotation for Frog Morton.
I've heard that Country Squire Shepherd's Pie is a good Frog Morton replacement. Its description on the Country Squire website leads to believe it was blended for that specific purpose. I recently read about Russ Oulette's Hearth & Home Sweet and Smoky, I believe it is called. It's also an aromatic English. I haven't tried it, but the handful of Russ's blends I've smoked are all very good. I expect Sweet and Smoky probably is good too.

blackadderlxx

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2018
I've heard that Country Squire Shepherd's Pie is a good Frog Morton replacement. Its description on the Country Squire website leads to believe it was blended for that specific purpose
Just a week or so ago I was in a position to have FMC, Northwoods and Shepherd's Pie all in a short time to compare them. I'm not the expert some are here, but IMO SP was more like FMC than Northwoods. But none were a match. On the plus side, I liked SP better than FMC so I'm no longer depressed about having loved and lost...

bouwser

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 8, 2018
While I have not had Frog Morton of any kind, I keep reading that it is a cross-over blend. Can someone explain what that means?
I have also heard of FM as an aromatic English. I do know what aromatics are, having enjoyed many. I have not had an aromatic English to my knowledge. Can someone explain what that means as well?
Thanks in advance.

coyja

Can't Leave
Feb 10, 2018
Spinning ball of dirt
The latakia is there throughout, but nicely in the background and playing off of great quality VA.

There is a slight whiskey note, due to a cube of a whiskey barrel stave being deposited in each tin, as opposed to any direct topping.

So, its not a full on English, or is produced as an aromatic typically would be, but bridges the gap between both... which is why it was so unique.

unkleyoda

Lifer
Aug 22, 2016
Your mom\\\'s house
There is a slight whiskey note, due to a cube of a whiskey barrel stave being deposited in each tin, as opposed to any direct topping.
I never believed for a second that the cube from a whiskey stave imparted that flavor into FM Cellar. I read that too, bought some, and tried it. The cube of wood had no smell what-so-ever to it. The tobacco smelled like whiskey, the wood didn't. It was a cute story, but all hog wash. Frog Morton Cellar was sprayed with whiskey, like any other tobacco topped with alcohol.

coyja

Can't Leave
Feb 10, 2018
Spinning ball of dirt
Mike McNeil has specifically said that he came up with this so as not to spray the tobacco directly with alcohol, and that you have a short window to get the stave into the tin or else risk losing the whiskey essence to evaporation.

IDK, maybe he's fibbing, but he created a lot of extra steps to avoid just spraying the crop w whiskey if so....

Status
Not open for further replies.