PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

milehighpiper

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2018
Denver, CO
I received this mysterious and enthralling picture and description about Frog Morton Opera. Does anyone have any idea what this is all about? Could this be the start of someone out in the universe re-creating McClelland blends? Have our prayers to the tobacco Gods been answered? Or is it just hype?

BTW, sorry to put you on blast Brian but I need to quote my sources!

Reactions: bluegrasspipe

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
Interesting to see what people think of it, though I tend to be pretty skeptical about proposed match blends.

The ones that I can get behind are more like GL Pease Westminster, which is explicitly more about recreating the spirit of a favored blend than an undistinguishable match.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I'm calling BS on this one. Reminds me of the Mixture 69 prank.

bfFxxkL.jpg

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
Cool idea but the tin art is probably too good for anything Frog Morton related. It needs to be less "I am a professional illustrator" and more "Grandma bought this at the craft fair" if it's to have any hope of capturing the wizard/hobbit crowd.

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
People have been recreating McClelland Frogs since McClelland Frogs were McClelland Frogs. Countless B&Ms have their remakes, especially after the disappearance of the original. As with most tobacco my opinion is that you disregard the tin art (which seems to be what everyone is opining about) and smoke the stuff. If it's good it's good. If it resembles the original then I applaud the makers. If it doesn't resemble the original but it's a good smoke I still applaud the makers. If it sucks and they're selling a legacy then it gets little or no mention and dies by abandonment and lack of interest like most other things.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I do not understand exactly how this can be a re-creation of the original. By all accounts, McC elected not to sell or share their recipes, and to my understanding, the Frog blends were based on the McC stoved VAs which do not exist anymore. If it was just a tribute or attempt at a Match blend, that would be one thing, but the FB post in the OP implies this is more than that, right?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
By all accounts, McC elected not to sell or share their recipes, and to my understanding, the Frog blends were based on the McC stoved VAs which do not exist anymore.
My very reasoning for calling it BS. Just someone else trying to ride Mike and Mary's coat tails to a quick buck.

milehighpiper

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2018
Denver, CO
I was hopeful that this would be a nice match or a bucket of good tobacco. However, I too did some research and outside of this post I have not seen, heard, or read about anything like this coming out. I just wanted to throw this out there in case anyone here had heard something about this.

Status
Not open for further replies.