PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Well, I never got to try the Frogs before MC went belly up, but I did manage to get ahold of a single tin of Frog Morton. I duly jarred it and had a bowl of that in a cob months ago, but didn't get much out of it.
To-day, I was finally able to have a smoke and give my recently acquired Curvy its initiation. I was thinking of Vintage Syrian or even HGL, since it's not broken in, but for some reason I grabbed the Frog. Well... all I can say is that I finally now understand the lamentations over this blend's demise. From the charring light I got an amazing flavour—creamy is how I'd describe it. This stuff is good.
It wasn't very dry, nor superbly packed, so I required many relights, and was pleased that my reverse calabash does smoke cooler indeed. Yay!
I have to ask, what's the ingredient that gives Frog Morton such smooth and creamy taste (and aftertaste). Is it present in other blends that are still extant?

rdavid

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
This is the tobacco that started it all for me. Went from a cherry aro to this and that was all she wrote!
I’ve searched for copies myself and have found nothing yet that duplicates that “creaminess” you mentioned above. Not sure what it is but there’s definitely something there in Frog Morton original that I have yet to find in anything else.
Country Squire has a claimed copy called Shepards Pie. While it is very good and I smoke it often, it just doesn’t have that “feel” that Frog Morton does. Very much missed and I would buy 10 pounds tomorrow if I could.

pipehunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 20, 2016
I need to try the King Blend. I agree that Northwoods is a closer match to the original Frog Morton than Shepherd's Pie, certainly in aroma. Frog Morton had some sort of fermented tin note (fermented might not be quite right, but something intriguing and satisfying, like an aromatic umami) that I haven't found in Shepherd's Pie or Northwoods. It was also a bit "creamier" than either of the others. I've always wondered how they got that tin note and how it translated so nicely to the smoking experience....

rdavid

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
Did Frog Morton original use Syrian latakia? Maybe that’s what gives it that unique creaminess?
And I keep seeing comparisons to Northwoods and FM but I don’t get that. My only experience with Northwoods had that unique Boswell’s topping on it. A sweet, almost sugary sweetness to it that definitely wasn’t present in FM. Don’t get me wrong, NW is one of my absolute favorites. In fact, I really need order a pound or two...

pipehunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 20, 2016
I believe it was Cyprian. My suspicion is that the creaminess arises from the stoving/cavendishing process somehow, but that's just a guess....

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
Definitely Cyprian in the original. Frog Morton Across the Pond had Syrian in it. I'm glad to have some of both tucked away.

lazar

Can't Leave
May 5, 2015
@dfo how does it age? 20 years is pretty damn old, so curious how it compares to more recent.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Nobody, and I mean NOBODY, is going to be able to copy any McClelland blend for 2 reasons.
1. Nobody else has the McClelland leaf, and especially nobody has McClelland's Virginias.
2. Nobody has Mike McNiel doing the processing, watching those gauges, timing everything, etc.
You may find other blends that satisfy your palate and some that you like better. But they will not be the same.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
sable' has it. It's like expecting someone else to carve a pipe the same as one of the masters. The McNeils were their own thing. People can imitate, or learn from them, but they aren't going to duplicate the product. They were accomplished in the details of their artistry well beyond duplication. In their own spheres of blending, Russ. O., Jeremy at C&D, and others, has some of the same attainment, but in their own ways and with their own blends. GL Pease, and a roster of other from the present and past.

Status
Not open for further replies.