PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

piperl12

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2012
OK, so I go to pick my oldest son up today at his high school for lunch out with Dad for his Birthday. I'm sitting in my truck minding my own business, smoking a bowl of Macbarens 7 seas cause it was on sale and I'm cheap about the tobacco I smoke when I'm working. Anyway I had my window down maybe 4 or 5 inches reviewing some estimates and I hear a knock on the window of my truck. I look up expecting to see my son and low and behold its a cop. Now I have the utmost respect for our men in uniform and most of the time I think its a thankless job of long hours and crappy people to deal with. So I roll down my window and he says he has received a complaint about my smoking on school property. I look around and the only sign in the parking lot is a no parking in the fire lane sign. I asked him where this was posted and he informs me it's an internal policy. Nice right. So I was polite with the cop but I said technically I'm smoking in my car in a parking lot of the public library as they are attached. He says if I don't move my truck he can have me charged with a city ordinance violation that states you can't smoke within 1000m of a school. Well this is news to me. Last I heard high schools had smoking areas. Anyway to finish my pipe I am expected to move my vehicle out on to the street to wait for my son. So as I am starting my truck, he says oh by the way how old is your son. I said 15, he said do you smoke with him in the car, to which I answered yes with the window down. Then he proceeds to tell me its illegal to smoke with a minor child in your vehicle and I can be charged with that too. In fact according to him kids have been taken out of smoking homes by child services. So I put my pipe in the ash try of the truck and moved to the street to wait for him. Is it just me or are all my hobbys taking me from being a law abiding business owner who pays his share of taxes to a periah in my own community. Don't even get me started on my non-hunting city folk neighbours. It might just be time to move way the hell up North and tell them all to kiss my ass. Sorry guys just had to vent. LOL

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Amazing how you can be a productive member of society, participating in a legal activity and be turned into a criminal by nanny-state a-holes. Get harrassed, ticketed, fined and have your rights as a parent revoked. I'm sure the state can do a much better job of raising someone's kid than a pipe smoker. WTF?

Aug 14, 2012
This stuff has gotten out of line. Our mayor, in NYC, banned smoking in bars. That was where people went to smoke. Then banned it in parks. Now he is pushing through a law to prohibit the sale of large glasses of soda. Next he'll be telling us we can't eat bacon because it has too much fat. Yet he maintains a private fleet of planes and copters to commute to distant estates, polluting our air needlessly. He also wants to charge $8.00 to enter midtown Manhattan in a car. Why? To curb pollution. They can do it, we can't. Like a class system. Reminds me of JFK who banned trade with Cuba, except for his cigars.

Jul 31, 2012
OK, I never knew smoking restrictions applied to you in your car... and the bit about taking kids from smoking parents, that's news to me.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
I feel for you. That is absurd. What state do you live in? I respect people who respect others. I have a hard time saying I respect the police in general. In Tennessee we have a lot of country cops who only hassle people for stupid little things. It drives me crazy. I do respect a person for joining a force that protects other people but I fear that a lot of people become police just for the power. Also in TN it is way too easy to become a police officer. A very minor psych evaluation and a really short academy class. I know a couple of them have said and done some very creepy things in my parents small town like pull over the same girl over and over just to talk to her.

piperl12

Apr 7, 2012
Photoman, Im from Ontario Canada we aren't even allowed to show tobacco products on our shelves here. It has gotten out of line, but it's happening everywhere and pretty soon we won't be allowed to do anything but go to work so we can pay more taxes.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
That sucks. I'm sorry to hear that. You always have us to share photos of pipes and such. At least you are not alone.

johncorosz

Can't Leave
Sep 15, 2012
Ever get that feeling?

your-doing-it-wrong_o_272534.jpg

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
Piperl12, I'm from Ontario as well and I've had serious thoughts of fleeing too. If you find anywhere in this country that's a safe haven from the creeping big brother please let me know...

piperl12

Apr 7, 2012
Where are you from ghost maybe we can get together some time to share a bowl. Have been seriously considering buying land north of North Bay seeing as though it might be awhile before the cityits begin banging on the door. I need 200 acres and I'm going to build a house smack dab in the middle with a driveway long enough that your either friend or target practice when you pull up to the house lol

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
That is because people in the US no nothing about our laws. They believe what people say not facts. I have heard so many just blatantly wrong facts on policy. It is very frustrating.

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
I'm right in the heart of busybody, bureaucrat hell in Ottawa, and anything outside of the city is looking very appealing right now. I drove through North Bay last year on the way to Sudbury for a work assignment. First time up that far North and it was quite a trip to see how much the topography changes past Mattawa. Sasquatch Country!

rd02sir

Can't Leave
Nov 1, 2011
Ya they even banned smoking on outdoor patios in the Ottawa Market and Sparks Street. This is ridiculous how anal the government is, yet they tax the shit out of us smokers. It used to only be that you can't smoke on a covered patio, now this. It's so frustrating.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
It's a very weird situation. Most of the time I think establishments intend to curb cigarette smoking only. I have stopped in a few bars that didn't mind pipe smoking, but definitely didn't allow cigarette smoking, and I've also been in a bar that allowed cigarette smoking, but not pipe and cigar smoking (still don't understand that last one). That guy sounds like one of those crazy antis who hates any kind of smoking. I doubt there would be anything you could say that would open his mind. It's unfortunate that people like him actually are permitted to work as an officer "of the law".

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
He says if I don't move my truck he can have me charged with a city ordinance violation that states you can't smoke within 1000m of a school. Well this is news to me. Last I heard high schools had smoking areas
The moral of the story is: Be aware of the laws and ordinances of the state and community regarding tobacco in which you live, and follow 'em. You may despise them, but you're stuck until they get changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.