PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sjpipesmoker

Lifer
Apr 17, 2011
In california, they seem to be ok with people smoking pot vs tobacco. I was at a concert a long time ago sitting up in the seats way up towards the top and smoking a cig, while all around me and on the floor people were smoking weed, and yep, they climbed up to tell me to put out my cig.
Because I have 2 young boys, I don't smoke in my house, I smoke in my car but not with them in there and never will. Growing up, my dad smoked with us in there and I even got to light his cigs...nowdays, you're right, He would be hauled off to jail, But let the big corporations bankrupt the country!
I really feel sorry for Canadians, all I hear on the boards is how much their tobacco products is taxed...can't imagine paying double for a tin.

mick

Can't Leave
Aug 13, 2012
I live in Ontario as well, but I also spent nearly a decade in a communist country and so I can appreciate the laws that exist to protect our citizens. Yes, sometimes they go too far and can feel like a pain in the ass, but I'm proud of our democratic system that allows for voices to be heard instead of muffled and carried off in the middle of the night.

macattack

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 20, 2012
I hate the nanny state ideals. Given I don't smoke around my kids but kids being removed from a home where smokers live?
Froggy, the smoking ban is statewide. Bloomberg the commie will continue to change the rules to benefit himself and take more rights away from the citizens of NYC and that infection will hit Albany soon enough. The issue seems to be most of of people agree with him without knowing the consequences.
Soon enough we're gonna have to smoke our pipes in hidden bunkers so we don't pollute the air...Wait...I don't wanna give them any ideas

adam12

Part of the Furniture Now
May 16, 2011
I don't feel obligated to push back, but what the hell, if we can rant like above, then a point of defense should be expected, right?
A quick glance of this thread and it's no wonder we have been losing good members of this forum steadily over the last year, as the pendulum swings in the direction of blanket and ambiguous statements about supposedly predatory police and red-eyed paranoiac ranting, despite the fact that the OP here made a very detailed statement that the individual who first reported the incident was a citizen, not the officer. Those of you who wish to rant about the police have many places to do so besides here, where I used to think the best thing about this forum was that we kept the politics out of the air to the betterment of all. It seems recently that, for whatever reason (and I'm banking on the frustrations of things other than smoking bans building in some of us) the dark mentality evident on so many other forums is alive here.
Whatever happened to the loose understanding that this particular forum wasn't going to fall prey to the things that bring other forums down, the same things which guide us here as a refuge? Ironic that those of you who wish to escape the wasteland (physically, mentally) are squarely in the middle of it as evidenced by your statements.
However justified it may seem given the times, this sort of ranting does nothing to enlighten or approach the situation from any constructive attempt to move forward. The banks "rape" us according to one poster above, police all over the country "taze" us indiscriminately, anti-smokers are "Nazis", the "law" that officers follow is in ironic quotes, it's "easy" to be a cop because all they do is "hassle" people and pull over women for nefarious reasons, our driveways are a good vantage point with which to have "target practice", and on and on. What kind of forum has this become?
I'd love to jump in with an informed knowledge of the state of police recruitment and police training across the country, an objective outlook on the state of laws that are being repealed in certain places, a very informed knowledge about police use of force tactics based on current research, and maybe even make an effort to make this more of a constructive conversation despite the tsunami of anecdotal ranting. But why bother. I'd be more successful cooking a steak with a matchstick than to try and change the minds of a mob. We have allowed a very dark characteristic of other forums take hold, and it's hardly the laid-back place it was even back in the spring when the Chicago show caused me to return here after a while away. But I don't think ranting about the cops and Nazis peeking in our windows was something we did here. I guess it is. Shame, too, because it used not to be. Knock yourselves out I guess, and enjoy giving yourselves heart disease over antismoking-Nazi-cop-tasing-rapists lurking everywhere.
Last thing: hats off to Jud, who had the even keel above to lay blame for this entire situation of smoking bans at the feet of the REAL culprits: the voters, which includes ourselves. If you want to change the situation, direct your energy and anger to positive change in that manner as opposed to the negativity on display here. I guess I could have taken my own advice from a while back about ignoring rants of others, but I will take the bait offered and say it's a damn shame what has happened to this forum.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
Adam I think you may have misread my comment. But nevertheless you write a huge paragraph (well written I might add) to make us all look stupid. I know it is the voters that have brought about the laws, as do most here. People are just frustrated. I think the police officer could have handled it better and where I live it is too easy to have the power of being a police officer. That is all I wanted to say. I didn't realize that was a political argument and I apologize.

lostandfound

Sep 30, 2011
Cilil disobedience my good friends. It's the only way, and if that doesn't work... well... VIVA LA REVOLUTION!

lostandfound

Sep 30, 2011
This should probably be posted under the "Tobacco Legislation" sub-forum, shouldn't it? That way nobody gets upset that were talking about politics.

chopz

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2011
i agree with adam. when i see labels like "nazi" and "commie" it sends up red flags. especially in this day and age that most people don't even have a clear idea of what these are, in large part thanks to the soundbyting and obfuscation that goes on in the media.
ranting is good. i hope the politicizing of rants can continue to be kept to a minimum. i'd hate to see the 'no politics' rule get repealed and have to see ya'll subjected to my political views.

lankfordjl

Sep 29, 2011
Texas
I agree. Voters must live with the laws made by the politicians that they have voted in office. So if things are to change, we must vote out the politicians that want to take away our independence.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
+1 Lankfordjl and I as well hate commie and natzi. Especially because I have a German background.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
in Ohio anyways it's a very well known fact NO smoking on school grounds. (in or out of cars. It just ain't going to happen. Now, most smaller schools don't have a 'cop' patrolling or probably care about an adult in a car. But, I'm sure some soccer mom pointed you out and the cop had to do what he had to do. The large hosp group I worked for outlawed smoking entirely on the campus. employees have to walk off campus into the neighborhoods which most don't have that kind of time. we have security guys who had to bust you even if sitting in your car. most didn't like it but if they let you slide who you figure ends up with the ass chewing? almost every inch of every campus is on camera. around here most lunches are 'closed' and no one is allowed to leave school grounds.

lostandfound

Sep 30, 2011
Governing Dynamics. Politicians are only doing what's best for themselves, and for their fellow politicians.

juvat270

Aug 1, 2011
That is because people in the US no nothing about our laws. They believe what people say not facts. I have heard so many just blatantly wrong facts on policy. It is very frustrating.
It amazes me too just how many people in this country do not understand what a "right" is. A lot of people I talk to seem to think "rights" are something your allowed to do but can be amended or denied with the constantly changing social zeitgeist. That's called a "privilege" people, not a right.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
However justified it may seem given the times, this sort of ranting does nothing to enlighten or approach the situation from any constructive attempt to move forward.
But that is the definition of a rant, which was all the OP was doing. And as it was related to his pipe smoking, seems relevant to this forum.

johncorosz

Can't Leave
Sep 15, 2012
and of course by now this should have been moved to the "other than pipe smoking discussions"

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
What is with you John, it is fine to post this in this room and who are you to question it? Are you just going to go thread to thread and decide which room a post should be in and then complain if it doesn't fit what room you think it should be in? Is that your job? We have moderators who handle that.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
when i see labels like "nazi" and "commie" it sends up red flags
+1
we must vote out the politicians that want to take away our independence.
You are not going to find anyone running for political office who will say "people should be able to smoke in more places". This is not a partisan issue; it has nothing to do with Democrats, Republicans, conservatives, or liberals.

The current climate is,IMO, a combination of several factors. First, people are angry with Big Tobacco (AKA the cigarette companies) for their insistence on marketing to children, and their consistent refusal to admit any health risks involved in using their product. Next, the current zeitgeist is that the most important thing is to live a long life, so risk must be avoided at all costs. Quality of life is less important. Then there is the fact that many cigarette smokers are totally inconsiderate, dumping butts everywhere. Add on to that the fact that there are always some busybodies out there, who are glad to run everyone's lives for them. And, finally, for years people who didn't smoke had no escape in public places. Allergic to tobacco? Got asthma or some other breathing issue? Better avoid bars, restaurants,offices,and most other public places, because they are full of smoke.
I hope the pendulum starts to swing back, and we can come up with some way of accommodating everyone, but I'm not hopeful in the short term. And Adam, thanks for the kind words.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
Governing Dynamics. Politicians are only doing what's best for themselves, and for their fellow politicians.
I'm slower on Saturday afternoons then the rest of the week.. what are you talking about?
the cop was simply doing his job. someone pointed you out to him and I suspect that same someone would have no problem going into the school and pointing out the cop wasn't doing his job.

Status
Not open for further replies.