PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
For $180 you'd think you could at least get a straight stem, or is that too much to ask? God's sake... some of the stuff they put out is bloody awful when it comes to quality control. I love Kapp Royal's but this is just unforgivably bad on Peterson.
05b7ee50-32ec-4322-907e-ebfac580d528-337x600.png

Jan 8, 2013
One could also say that the seller (and I love smokingpipes... just sayin...) shouldn't bother putting it up for sale but should have contacted the Peterson factory. Those in charge at Peterson, don't know they need to address an issue with their QC if they are not themselves informed.
Edit to add: I have a pipe with that stem to shank fitment style and out of curiosity I just fiddled with it a bit. Could be the stem isn't inserted all the way. I just did it with mine.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
You raise a good point Anthony in that I think it is as much on the seller as the factory to catch poorly constructed pipes-at least when t's obvious-and not offer them up for sale.

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
At this price point (or any price point, really) I don’t see how this even left the factory. I mean presumably somebody fits stem to stummel and gives it a once over?

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Also doesn’t Laudisi own Peterson now? Overall corporate management-wise the two companies are basically one and the same. SP excels in all things, I know pipe making is a whole different animal than online retailing, but they need to get Peterson back on top. Shit like this is what is giving them a bad reputation lately.

Jan 8, 2013
Shit like this is what is giving them a bad reputation lately.
Honestly I think it's more social media giving them a bad reputation. Out of all my pipes, I've had no serious issues with any of my Peterson pipes. Occasionally we hear or see on on the forums or Facebook or whatever that is a bad apple. Those bad apples get shared all over the place as if it's the norm. But I hear about issues with other makers as well. In fact I've had more issues with Savinelli than I have with Peterson... drilled way off center, lost a ridiculous amount of stain on another... and I've seen others. The strange thing is that when problems happen with other makers not many people raise a real fuss about it, like with Peterson. If I were thinking logically, with me having less Savinelli than Peterson, but with the Savs having more issues, I'd have to assume Savinelli had terrible quality control. I don't really believe that is the case, however. With the ridiculous amount of pipes that Peterson and Savinelli both pump out, there are going to be a few that get by QC.

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
I don’t own any Sav’s so I can’t say, but with as much volume as they churn out daily I guess it’s not surprising that a few are bad. I have a few poorly constructed Peterson’s and I only own 7, so I guess I’m more sensitive to it. Especially when you buy a higher end model and something is this blatantly off. The drilling is jacked on a couple of mine, I just choose to try and ignore it because they’re beautiful to look at. And when smoked properly (gently) they don’t tend to gurgle much, if at all, so no harm I suppose. To be fair, I love Peterson pipes. I don’t love any pipes as much as theirs. I’m not saying other manufacturers don’t have lemons, either. For the price this just irritates the crap out of me, more so because I want to buy a Kapp Royal and then I see this garbage. The stem on one of my Rosslare’s is similarly crooked and this is giving me PTSD lol.

skydog

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2017
I agree the peterson qc problems seem blown out of proportion to me. I've bought many new and estate petersons and only ever had 1 with a slightly off center drilling. Even that one still smokes perfectly though. I've got a few army mounts and I agree that it may just that the stem is not seated correctly in the pipe causing the misalignment.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Read somewhere in recent years that no one then at the Peterson factory actually smoked pipes. So, a non-pipe smoker assembling stems might miss a stem like that being unknowledgeable.

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Generally blown out of proportion or not, if this stem is fully seated this is a real QC issue that’s not being exaggerated and it’s not acceptable. For this price it’s shameful. I’d expect a straight stem on a $40 pipe. Again, I love my Peterson’s. And I’m not trying to be argumentative with you fine folks. This one is really getting under my skin, though. For the sake of my sanity, and faith in humankind, I hope this stem isn’t fully seated in the picture. I guess that’s all I really have to say about it.

Jan 8, 2013
Mtwaller, you could try contacting them about that pipe. They'll probably check the stem on it. They'll just need the item number.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
Laudisi will sell ANYthing they can.
Peterson will sell ANYthing they can.
And luckily, tons of pipe smokers will buy ANYthing they find.
So it all works out.
Smokingpipes long ago lost their appeal for me - few pipes in a row that were absolute silly garbage, and it's a real hassle to do a return internationally, having paid taxes etc, so I kept 'em, but it marked the end of my shopping with them, really.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Edit to add: I have a pipe with that stem to shank fitment style and out of curiosity I just fiddled with it a bit. Could be the stem isn't inserted all the way. I just did it with mine.
(AR quote)
I could be the photographer's fault. Didn't put the stem in properly and failed to check (proof!) the photo. Could be. But it is sloppy.
BTW, all my Petes smoke very well. A couple have pits. A few are stunning.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
Before going berserk.. Was the stem actually inserted correctly? How was it photographed? Got a link I couldn't find it?

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
Before going berserk.. Was the stem actually inserted correctly? How was it photographed? Got a link I couldn't find it?

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
They must have taken it down, it’s not listed any longer. If a 106 pops back up then I’d suppose they did a new photo shoot with the stem properly seated. If not... it was a bad apple. Er... billiard. At least they found it and took steps to remedy the situation.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Yeah, we can hope it was just a bad photo shoot. If it definitely *was* the pipe, I would absoLUTEly give it a pass. As mt said, I'd expect an aligned stem for *40* simoleons, never mind 180. I might take it in a *low*-end basket pipe, but that *is* just a "might." Hopefully it *was* just a photo issue.
B

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Could it be that the stem just wasn’t properly “fitted” into the mortise and if you pushed in a bit further it will sit straight? I’m really just asking as I’ve never owned this brand of Peterson but it looks as though they just hadn’t pushed it in all the way snug when they took the picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.