PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rangerearthpig

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2014
My 20 year old son picked up the hobby over Christmas break. He has a MM cob and a cheap church warden. I asked him to register on here. If he is lucky, maybe he will get on the list.

novicemaker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 12, 2014
Well this seems like a good spot for me to ask something, but before i do just a little background. I haven't been an avid smoker but i like to think i smoke for the feel and taste not because i have to or for any other reasons. I burnt my first little corncob pipe and felt that i should take a break from smoking and learn more about this topic. I like that there are people to show us newbs how to break in a new pipe and maintain it afterwards. I have no smoking items at this time. I am trying to find that pipe that will call to me but wont bust a tight budget. Id like any help on good starter pipe and a few ideas on whats a good smoke. I get my little smoke from wood tip black and mild's but i really like the black and mild royal and a box pressed black cigar i tried. i think the name was koa or something along that line. Just to give an example of my taste for those of you that can give me any advise on what to smoke.

iliumneves

Lurker
Feb 10, 2014
Finally got a chance to enjoy a smoke with my pipe addition from this project. So happy to be on the receiving end of this kind community!
Thanks!!!

oldmannk

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 11, 2014
All.
I spoke with Shaintiques who ask asked me to post here. I am new to pipe smoking I received a pipe for christmass this year from my wife after showing interest. I also purchased on from a seller on this site. I been a busy reading this site and tring to learn as much as I could. I would like to participate in the free pipe project. I have tried mainly arotomatics like 1-Q. I am looking to expand and try new tobaccos such as a beginning English and some natural such as barlies. I am will to try anything once. LOL.
Thanks all for your time and consideration,
Bryan

transmutated

Might Stick Around
Apr 9, 2014
Hi, this is too astonishing to totally comprehend.
I'm not sure whether I really qualify since I actually own 6 pipes...it's just, in my opinion, only 3 of them are smokable. I have been smoking a pipe since the 6th of January and have kept on making really stupid mistakes buying cheap and nasty pipes (I am going to have to save up to buy a proper briar or meerschaum pipe since even cheap "good quality" pipes are out of my price range).
Two of my pipes are so awful I cannot smoke them at all; a peterson standard system I got for £5 from a bric-a-brac shop, and a pipe from a pipe shop bowl that just tastes awful no matter how much I smoke it (and I've tried cleaning it with falcon spray and rum several times). I also have a small cherrywood (this was my first pipe and I got it for my birthday) but I don't ever smoke it because the bowl is waaaay too small...unless you want a 1 minute smoke.
Then I've got a parker zulu and another pipe from a pipe shop bowl (both of which are great). I also have a corncob which is great too.

All the money I've wasted could have gone towards what I have been wanting the whole time, just a good quality straight pipe.
If being an utter idiot and making lots of bad choices qualifies me...then brilliant. If it really is just for those who literally own 1 or 2 pipes then I apologise for wasting your time.

In fact maybe what I really need is simply some advice...I don't know any other pipe smokers so I have had to find my way through trial and error (so perhaps reading the contents of this forum will be enough to solve my problems).
Anyway, this is a great idea and I wish you all the best.

elliott

Might Stick Around
Apr 21, 2014
Just started smoking a pipe at the end of march, used to be a cigar guy but always wanted to try out pipe smoking, I'm a noob. I have a Savinelli Trevi thats not yet broken in, and some kind of stanwell that I bought cheap from a guy here, but turns out the stem is broken. I am deployed so I cant exactly go to the pipe shop and try to find a new stem. So Im back down to the Savi with some crappy baccy that I assumed as a noob would be good...I was wrong. I do have a MM cob on the way and should have been here by now but hasnt arrived yet. Dont know how to post pictures yet, I just got my account today.

Mar 31, 2014
shaintiques,
This is a very cool project you've started and it's come to my attention at the perfect time. I tried out pipe smoking at the beginning of this year and bought a little clay pipe in April, my first pipe: http://www.pipeshoppe.com/ps_p2001.php. It doesn't work so well, so I bought a Capri basket pipe in March, which gets the job done: http://www.pipesandcigars.com/pipes/79677/capri-basket/. (smooth bent egg).
I turned my husband into a pipe smoker as well, leaving the pricey cigars behind, so we've been passing the Capri back and forth. This doesn't work so well, me being a Billy Budd gal and him being the aromatic type. So, we've been looking for another pipe, but a descent one that doesn't gurgle and heat up so much. As a couple in our early 20s, we have a lot of the same financial issues that I imagine most couples our age do. So, we've had a tough time justifying spending money on a third pipe (really a second pipe, the clay is more of a decoration at this point). And we're certainly hesitant to spend the money necessary for a quality pipe, yet also hesitant to buy another cheap one. Haven't had much luck on ebay.
Anything you and others on the forum have to offer would be greatly appreciated. Any pipe received from this warm group would be a gift to be cherished for the rest of our lives. We'd gladly pay the shipping costs (paypal?) and post up pictures of us using whatever pipe you might be willing and able to send our way. This community has been great in generosity and education.
Thank you, shaintiques. And thank you all.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Hey guys and gals thanks for the great posts. I have about 20 pipes heading to me from various members generosity. As I get them restored I will be contacting you to make arrangements. I have a custom pipe order going right now so it may be a few weeks as business comes first, but there are some really great estates coming so it will be worth the wait.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Here is a pic of one of the lots of pipes heading my way to be restored and distributed to new smokers. These are coming from Condorlover and his friend Andre.

philm68

Lurker
Apr 22, 2014
I would be interested in this. My father-in-law gave me a Turkish meerschaum pipe and it is currently my only pipe. I have a few different kinds of tobacco from Emersons but I am afraid to smoke all of them and ghost my pipe. If there is anything I need to do to sign up for this let me know.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
philm68, are you referring to Emerson's Cigars? If so, you must be in the Hampton Roads area. I live in Portsmouth and the Emerson's in Greenbriar is my hangout at least once a week to two weeks. Great place. If not, just ignore this post and let me keep talking to myself, lol.

dutchronin

Lurker
Apr 16, 2014
Ok WOW, the sheer size and scale of this amazes me a LOT!
Being from The Netherlands, I also am a member of the dutch 'pijprokersforum' and being a new pipe smoker, I am happy to have received a few samples of tobacco from some of it's members. Usually that's about two bowls in a ziplock bag. Donating whole tins and shiny refurb pipes is something completely new to me!
I must admit, starting to smoke the pipe IS kinda hard on the wallet. Therefor I jumped at restoring briars to former glory and end up with some great smokers with the occasional dents and marks that I am yet unable to get out of the pipe. Problem is, while I am buying pipes to restore (and I enjoy doing that A LOT) I spend the money I could use on tobacco's, so I have to make due with maybe a pouch or 3 a month and hope I like it :D I have bought some pouches that are now on my 'no way I'm buying THAT again!' list (Like most Mac Barens).
To be truly honest, I wish I lived closer to be able to maybe get on the receiving end or, in the future, giving end of this project. When it comes to tobaccos the US has far more interesting blends that are not even sold in Europe/The Netherlands.
This being said, I take my hat off to all of the smokers that do this for us/the newbies! It once again proves that the pipe smoking community around the world is a great and friendly one!!
Many happy bowls to you all!

aquilas

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2013
This is very admirable. Good on you, shaintiques! I like how you mentioned it was a group effort. The pipe community has become one of my favorite communities that I've ever been a part of. Everyone is very welcoming and very generous.

Status
Not open for further replies.