PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxpeters

Can't Leave
Jan 4, 2010
About a month ago I stopped by the pipe shop in Fredericksburg, Va. while my girlfriend appeased her inner shopping demon, and though they cater mostly to the cigar crowd now ( didn't used to be that way ), I did find that they had a portion of one wall in the hall plastered with pipes in little retainers.

Some were Petersons which they had overpriced in my opinion, but then I got to looking at some pipes that appeared to be no name "shop pipes."

On closer inspection, what I saw led me to believe that they were pipes from Edwards pipe co. I don't think any had the Edwards name on them, but they had the series name, plus another name, such as "husky".

The series names and the shapes all said Edward's to me. I looked closely at a several and could find no flaws or imperfections. I remember Benton being a lower priced Edward's pipe.

I finally bought a Benton "Huskey". Took it home, and I have been really enjoying it. It is a great pipe.

Just out of curiosity, I wrote to Edward's Pipe co. and asked them about the pipe. I also asked them if they made their pipes from Algerian briar purchsed 60 years ago, how they could have so much Algerian briar left.

I recieved an answer back from the managing director stating that they once made the "Huskey" but no longer carried that shape, so it WAS an Edwrad's pipe!

Then he went on to say that they had enough Algerian briar in their warehouse to last another 60 years! wow!

Anyway, ( I am long winded at times) I now have a place close by with a wall full of algerian briar pipes!

I intend to pick one up everytime i get up there. I will try to include a photo with this posting.
pipessunday007_opt1.jpg

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
maxpeters,

That's a great find! Yet another reminder that we should all keep our eyes peeled. It looks like some very astute observation paid-off big time for you. Congrats !

maxpeters

Can't Leave
Jan 4, 2010
Thanks everyone.

I hear from time to time, different things about Algerian briar. One, that's it's the hardest briar, and as such disipates the heat out the top of the bowl, producing a cooler pipe.

Another, that's it's a softer brair, allowing it to be sandblasted away easier.

Another opinion is that it allows the tobacco taste to come through better than Grecian or Calabrian or some others.

I don't know who's right, or who's wrong. I do hear that it is hard to come by these days.

But anyway, Edward's seems to have enough to satisfy demand for a long while, so I guess we can just enjoy it. While it lasts.

Status
Not open for further replies.