PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

raevans

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2013
Back when I began smoking a pipe, I pretty much cut my teeth on Dunhill EMP and Nightcap. Loved the stuff. I don't know what the tobacco was like before Murray & Sons took over the production, but for better or worse, I really liked the stuff that Murray put out. So much so that I jarred as much as I could get a hold of. At that time I was living in a small condo and the only place to stash it was in tubs, under the bed. Around 2006, I moved from the DC area to Richmond. During the move, sadly, the tobacco went missing. (I was sure that the movers had "acquired" the tobacco and that I would never see it again.) Fast forward to the present. My better half had asked that I move a dresser that we had in the spare room, (you know the room that everything that you can't really decide what you want to do with ends up in), well when I went to move it, it seemed pretty heavy. I open the drawers to see what was weighing it down, and BAM!!! I'm looking at jars of tobacco. Talk about feeling like a kid on Christmas morning or just winning the lottery. So now added to my meager tobacco cellar is:
Three pounds of Dunhill Early Morning Pipe from 1997
Three pounds of Dunhill Nightcap from 1998
Five pounds of Dunhill Early Morning Pipe from 2000
Five pounds of Dunhill Nightcap from 2000 and
A pound and a half of Esoterica "And So To Bed" from 2000
I couldn't resist the urge to open one of the jars and give it a try. 97 EMP. Better than I remembered it. I don't know if there is the "perfect smoke", but this would have to come close to it. After todays good luck, maybe I should reconsider buying that lottery ticket.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
And now that Dunhill is done for you can scalp 'em all on eBay!! :clap:
J/K.
Guess you unkowingly got EMP aged like Rick Newcombe suggests in his book In Search of Pipe Dreams. Way to go!

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
my meager tobacco cellar is:
Three pounds of Dunhill Early Morning Pipe from 1997
Three pounds of Dunhill Nightcap from 1998
Five pounds of Dunhill Early Morning Pipe from 2000
Five pounds of Dunhill Nightcap from 2000 and
A pound and a half of Esoterica "And So To Bed" from 2000

Meager my butt! You are golden pony boy.

acidpox

Can't Leave
Nov 18, 2018
Wow now that dunhills gone you have a lot backing you up. When into a tobacco store the other day and asked if they had any tins of nightcap floating around and the owner just laughed at me. Said aot of his regulars came in and got it all as soon as dunhill announced they would no loter be making pipe tobacco.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Nice find. What I find amazing is that you didn't open that dresser since 2006. :puffy:

lotharen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 26, 2016
Great story and amazing re-discovery! I had no idea tobacco would keep that long lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.