PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipehunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 20, 2016
That is excellent. That's the kind of story to put a smile on your face.
A few years ago, I thinned the cellar to what I was likely to actually smoke and sent a few hundred tins (mostly Syrian latakia and McCranies) to pipestude (which autocorrect keeps trying to change to pipette...anything you want to tell us, Steve?). I sure wish I'd just lost them in the cellar so I could find them again some day.

artificialme

Can't Leave
Mar 15, 2018
Good God!! That's great find. Hope you'll enjoy those baccy and I'll live vicariously through you :puffy:

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
It's funny how we can lose tobacco after many years. I found 7 jars of 2007 Penzance in the back of my closet last Fall that I had forgotten about. Congrats on the discovery!

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"...to pipestude (which autocorrect keeps trying to change to pipette..."
It seems your autocorrect is still failing you :puffy:
FWIW the autocorrect on my new Kindle Fire is just as bad as I once typed "Marmite is great on hot buttered toast" but I'm so glad I checked it as it had altered 'buttered' to 'buggered'. In fact it did just that when I wrote this!
Regards,
Jay.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Very nice find! I love Nightcap. One of my favorites. Would love to smoke some from the Murray's era, just to try it and compare to the most recent production.
I did not log onto the forum or do much reading about pipe tobacco during 2017 through the first half of 2018. After finding out (after the fact) that McClelland had closed, I saw that Dunhill was withdrawing from the pipe tobacco market as well. Having missed out on my opportunity to stock more Frog Morton, I immediately ordered five pounds of bulk Nightcap, plus a couple pounds worth of tins. I'm glad I did, because within a few months, it was no longer available at the major online sites.
Now when I look at my trays of mason jars of Nightcap, it does feel a bit like Christmas :puffy: Finding a few pounds you forgot about / lost would be like finding a few hundred dollar bills in an old pair of jeans

raevans

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2013
I can guarantee that none of this tobacco will end up on ebay. I may take some to the next CORPS dinner in February though. As far as easing the pain of Dunhill stopping production, it really didn't have that big of an effect on me. Like I said, I was a big fan of the Murray blends. The tobacco that Orlik produced was good and I enjoyed it, but at least for me, something was always missing. This find was more like a "hope springs eternal" thing. It brings back all of the fond memories of a tobacco that has been long gone that suddenly is there again. Kind of like a long lost friend that suddenly returns.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Man after reading your story, I just realized...I have tobacco somewhere hidden as well! Crap.... And I have no idea where....

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Last weekend I found a jar crammed solid with Low Country Waccamaw that I thought I'd already smoked.
To say that I was delighted would be a huge understatement :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

raevans

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2013
The big downside to finding the tobacco was the realization that even though the tobacco was well aged, I had grown twenty years older as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.