Found Some Nice Old Smokers

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Search on Site

Recent Posts

fluffie666

Apr 4, 2014
Hello all. I haven't ever really been active on the forums here. I'm quite the lurker though. I found some pipes this weekend. I'm always looking for them. I thought I'd share this batch with you folks on here because I got pretty excited about some of them and maybe some of you are like minded.

I've never been good at posting pics to this site but I'll try again. These should be hotlinks from postimage.

smittyd

Preferred Member
Feb 7, 2018
Pennsylvania
Nice find! Cant wait to see how the restoration turns out. As always sent pics. I especially like those Stanwells. Hope they turn out great for you!

chasingembers

Preferred Member
Nov 12, 2014
Those are going to look great when you clean them up. The oom paul up top, and the rusticated Stanwell on the bottom really caught my eye. Great score!

owen

Preferred Member
May 28, 2014
what a great batch of i would be happy with any one of those but the Stanwells are terrific.

dmcmtk

Preferred Member
Aug 23, 2013
"Some nice old smokers" I would call that a MAJOR understatement! I really like that old E. Wilke in the first picture. What is the Bulldog in the second picture? And the third picture, the hard to find Sixten Ivarsson "Boat" shape, and a nice old Reg. No. Billiard, not to shabby!
:D

mikethompson

Preferred Member
Jun 26, 2016
Looks like some Petersons in the second picture?
Looks like a nice little collection there.

newbroom

Preferred Member
Jul 11, 2014
Looks like you scored some classic wood. I like the Kaywoodie pot and the Stanwell Handmade a lot.

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member
May 12, 2015
Monterey Peninsula
Well done on the acquisitions! The top three pipes look like they each received about the same abuse as the others in the photo. Scorched rims, battered rims, and vulcanite never treated.

They should clean up well, but you may want to address the dings on the rim, and there are folks here who know how to do that. I like the Wilke and the Dunhill Prince (?) the most.

fluffie666

Apr 4, 2014
Thanks everyone.

A closer inspection showed me that at least two of these are far beyond my repair and restoration abilities.
I'm going to post some pics of stamping for you nomenclature nuts. I am one :puffpipe:

Hopefully this post works.
Pic # 1 is a Dunnie Prince shape FE. It is so badly charred inside the chamber. I put it to the side until I have the time to come up with a repair plan.

Next is an E. Wilke that I also love the shape of. It's smoked hard but should clean up nicely.

Kaywoodie Uncle Paul which is stamped London England. Pretty neat I thought.

Under that is a Kaywoodie Standard military mount with a four digit code.

Pic # 2 has a Jeantet Luxe bent bull dog. This one has also been put aside. It has a crack that goes through the shank. I'll get to repair it some day.

Next are two K&P Peterson's System Standards.

Pic # 3 has a rusticated Stanwell 20 Sixten shape and a shape 66 Hand Made Selected Briar.

I'll tell you, I adore all these pipes. I'm really in love with the Stanwell 20 shape. It's an honor for me to have that one.
I started cleaning up the Stanwell Selected Broad 66 because it seems to be the most straightforward clean up out of the bunch. I'll post pics as I get them prettied up. Can't wait to smoke them!

bnichols23

Preferred Member
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Whhhooooaaaa, LUCKY YOU!! That is one maaaajor score! As usual my tastes run along the same lines as embers'. The oom & Sav grabbed my eyes right off.

mikethompson

Preferred Member
Jun 26, 2016
They should all look great once cleaned up. There is a humbling wealth of info on these forums to get you set up.

saltedplug

Preferred Member
Jul 24, 2016
You are going about one of the most economical ways to get your herd going. My hat's off to you!

pruss

Preferred Member
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
I’m with Dave, the Sixten boat and the Wills skater are my favourites as well.
Great haul!
— Pat

fluffie666

Apr 4, 2014
Many thanks everyone. It makes me happy to share this stuff with you like minded folks. No one around me comes close to understanding what it's like to get a haul like that in.

There certainly is a humbling wealth of information on the forums about all things pertaining to pipes and restoration. I certainly might be asking for some guidance along the way as I get into cleaning and these up. I don't want to destroy any of them.