PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I stopped into a little antique shop the next town over and found an Oscar Imported Briar which I believe is a Savinelli second. It looks just like the one in the photo, in about the same shape but, missing the stem. The lady wants $6.00 for it and I passed on it (I can always go back). I passed because I'm not sure what's involved in getting a replacement stem.

Any idea who can make a replacement stem and an approximate cost? Thanks.

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
Oscars are great pipes. I have a bulldog somewhere. It's a wonderful, practical pipe. Mine's identical to the top one on this eBay listing. I'm not sure what it would cost you to get a replacement stem however these in the eBay listing are approximately $17 each, and although I don't think you'll find a replacement stem for less than $20, I'm not sure you want 3 Oscars either.

OSCAR 510KS BULLDOG 111KS OSCAR ELITE 114KS ITALY ESTATE SMOKING PIPES LOT#27 | eBay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/OSCAR-510KS-BULLDOG-111KS-OSCAR-ELITE-114KS-ITALY-ESTATE-SMOKING-PIPES-LOT-27/174087264883

Reactions: scloyd

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Oscars are great pipes. I have a bulldog somewhere. It's a wonderful, practical pipe. Mine's identical to the top one on this eBay listing. I'm not sure what it would cost you to get a replacement stem however these in the eBay listing are approximately $17 each, and although I don't think you'll find a replacement stem for less than $20, I'm not sure you want 3 Oscars either.

OSCAR 510KS BULLDOG 111KS OSCAR ELITE 114KS ITALY ESTATE SMOKING PIPES LOT#27 | eBay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/OSCAR-510KS-BULLDOG-111KS-OSCAR-ELITE-114KS-ITALY-ESTATE-SMOKING-PIPES-LOT-27/174087264883
Thanks greeneyes.
The shank on the Oscar I found isn't round, it's oval. I'm going to go back and buy it. Then I'll figure it out. I know someone here on the forum recently recommended someone who makes stems but, I can't find that thread.

Reactions: greeneyes

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I went back today and asked the woman if she possibly new what happened to the stem or if she remembers it ever having the stem. She told me it never had a stem. She then told me that she has had the pipe for quite a while and she offered it to me for $2. She then handed me an address book and told me to write down my name and address...she'll call me if she gets any pipe related items. Awesome lady!

Here are some pics of the pipe before clean up. On the top of the stem it states Oscar AGED BRIAR and on the bottom of the stem it has the Savinelli logo and 802 EX ITALY.

Now I just have to figure out how to get a stem.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A pipe repair person can do a stem for $30 or so, plus shipping. I used Norwood but lost the link, but you can Google them. There are a number of members who can recommend or who do repair. For $2? Primo.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
A pipe repair person can do a stem for $30 or so, plus shipping. I used Norwood but lost the link, but you can Google them. There are a number of members who can recommend or who do repair. For $2? Primo.
Thanks Tom. I'll check out Norwood. There's also Briarville too.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Even better, the store proprietor will contact you on pipes and accessories. You can ask shop owners to do this, but it is so much more likely to happen if they ask you. My area must be cigarette country. When I inquire or mention pipes, the shop people look uncomfortable and slightly alarmed.

M

Merton

I went back today and asked the woman if she possibly new what happened to the stem or if she remembers it ever having the stem. She told me it never had a stem. She then told me that she has had the pipe for quite a while and she offered it to me for $2. She then handed me an address book and told me to write down my name and address...she'll call me if she gets any pipe related items. Awesome lady!

Here are some pics of the pipe before clean up. On the top of the stem it states Oscar AGED BRIAR and on the bottom of the stem it has the Savinelli logo and 802 EX ITALY.

View attachment 7856
View attachment 7857
View attachment 7858

View attachment 7856
View attachment 7857
View attachment 7858

NORWOODs down in Tennessee would be great for that. Super fast turnaround (1 week or less) and fairly inexpensive $30 oh so

Status
Not open for further replies.