PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
What, pray tell, do you think the great unwashed need to do to get back to a more academic study of pipes here?

Wut? "Great unwashed"? Your term, not mine.

Let's see... If I leave your question unanswered the implied accusation stands. If I answer it without correction it not only stands but appears to be affirmed by me. And if I do try to correct it---as I am doing---you left yourself the "That's not what I meant! You're projecting! Stop picking on me!" back door.

Alinsky's spirit is alive and well, I see. Even on pipe boards. lol

Sorry, not gonna play.

As for a return to a more scholarly approach, that will either happen of its own accord or it won't, as some of today's newcomers gain experience and want more out of the hobby. It's a critical mass thing. Too few, and it won't happen. Enough, and it will.

Bengel

Lifer
Sep 20, 2019
Let's see... If I leave your question unanswered the implied accusation stands. If I answer it without correction it not only stands but appears to be affirmed by me. And if I do try to correct it---as I am doing---you left yourself the "That's
Damn, I am not this smart guaranteed!

Reactions: kurtbob

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
My question was ask in all seriousness, my snarkiness not meaning to offend, rather to let the air out, so we can be on the same level and talk to, not at, each other. As much as possible in this format ;)
In all seriousness: you'd have to have separate tiers for a scholarly approach to happen. Separate the noobs from the intermediate, from the pipe doctors. Think popular magazines vs. academic journals. I don't see it happening here: it'd be chaos.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
I've participated in various forums since the mid 90's. The dynamic of human emotional behavior inside virtual places is fascinating to me.

I'm pretty much a forum Ninja at this point.
source.gif

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
Wut? "Great unwashed"? Your term, not mine.

Let's see... If I leave your question unanswered the implied accusation stands. If I answer it without correction it not only stands but appears to be affirmed by me. And if I do try to correct it---as I am doing---you left yourself the "That's not what I meant! You're projecting! Stop picking on me!" back door.

Alinsky's spirit is alive and well, I see. Even on pipe boards. lol

Sorry, not gonna play.

As for a return to a more scholarly approach, that will either happen of its own accord or it won't, as some of today's newcomers gain experience and want more out of the hobby. It's a critical mass thing. Too few, and it won't happen. Enough, and it will.

:LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: brian64 and kurtbob

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia
Yes sir, the one thing I know to be true in 55 yrs on this rock is what my dad would tell me when I pitched a no hitter or whatever and was pretty full of myself. He would tell me “son, enjoy your time up on that horse but remember one thing. There is ALWAYS someone smarter, faster, stronger or better than you. Just because you haven’t come across them yet doesn't mean they aren’t just around the corner with a 2X4 to knock you off that horse”

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
You quickly learn that when trying to find a job. Especially if you're applying in your 40's.
That’s why you should always apply as a 37 year old.

I was always told it’s better to find the workplace where you’re the dumbest guy, because it makes you learn faster and try harder. It‘s too easy to coast if you’re at the top.

Reactions: kurtbob and BROBS
Status
Not open for further replies.