PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

samcoffeeman

Can't Leave
Apr 6, 2015
So I go to another sports related blog/forum and in the comments section, you can Recommend(Rec) a post and also Flag a post. When you Rec a post it changes color and great posts get a lot of Recs which is pretty cool. You can also Flag a post if you think it is offensive or inflammatory, which would then notify a Mod to check it out. This could possibly prevent some of the occasional disaster threads that are an unfortunate inevitability in this open forum. The website this is from is on SBNation.com, which hosts sites for every professional sports team. I happen to frequent bleedinggreennation.com, the (unaffiliated)Philadelphia Eagles site under SBNation.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
It would mean upgrading software... won't happen. Everyone here, for the most part, is all about status quo. I get that, but "upgrades" are a good thing. Wrong crowd though.
Sorry Coffeeman, but your post has been flagged :) :clap:

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
That's why I stay away from the open discussion threads. I joined this forum to talk about pipes and tobacco, and it's hard to offend someone by such. The general discussions are the ones that people get irritated about... I was thinking too that some one could literally become a preferred member while never talking about pipes or tobacco... :crazy:

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
This forum is my favorite pipe smoking forum and I've participated in ones from Spain, Argentina, France, England, the USA, etc. Upgrades aren't necessarily a bad thing, but I'm happy enough the way things are.
pipesmagazine is also the most active forum I've visited as there are always new and interesting threads to read. Other forums can take days for just a few comments to appear.
Thanks to all the pipe smokers, sponsors and owners of this site for the valuable community we have created here.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If it were easy and no expense, the recommendations are good ones. It's a balancing act between have a good site with features and keeping it profitable enough to make it worth Kevin & Company's time/money. I think the mods do a workmanlike job at clearing the clunker posts, and you can somewhat detect the recommendations by the number of posts. There is much to commend simplicity. But I like the creative suggestion, and if this became easy, in terms of software and time, which sometimes software can do with upgrading, it's good to keep in mind.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Some of us can't self-censor. Imagine being able to flag other members' posts as offensive! The mods we have do a great job of allowing us to walk the tightrope now and then. I can sic the mods onto a suspect thread with a PM if I feel it necessary. Flagging seems redundant.
As an aside, tobacco threads sometimes go sideways. As do tobacco legislation posts. Even pipe threads get a bit testy now and then.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
So far as content and membership goes, this is The Forum. It's epic. Technologically speaking, it verges on arcane. I'm not complaining, just calling it. I understand the reasons quite well. Just sayin' :)

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
The idea was to use italics to imply a sarcastic tone. Intonation is an important part of communication that can be the cause for misunderstandings in textual communication... so thought italics might be the answer. Alas ''twas not so.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Nate, I hope my intonation wasn't interpreted incorrectly. I was intoning a smart-ass remark. The italics was just a diversion my juvenile brain couldn't pass up.

Jan 8, 2013
If it ain't broke... don't fix it. Seriously though, I think most are happy with the layout of the forum. Personally, I can see how the above mentioned changes might be good, but I also see how they might be unwelcome or unnecessary. I was an admin for a site a few years ago, and I can assure you if a topic has gone south, any moderator that might be online would be getting half about a dozen private messages alerting them to topic or member that has gone outlaw... and a sheriff or his deputies will be enforcing county law lickity split. So when there's a private message option, there's no real need of a post flagging option in my opinion.
Recommending posts options can also be nice.... but I've been on forums that used them. Sometimes, what happens is a veteran member might post something and said member is well liked and established and that post automatically gets a ton of recommendations, as well as other posts by the same member or other members of the same standing. Meanwhile, Totalnewbiemember66 might have just made a remarkable post that would just be a joy to read or create a great dialogue between other members. Unfortunately though, this post doesn't get recommended as much and quickly falls down to the bottom of the page or to the next page where it might not even be seen. Totalnewbiemember66 feels discouraged, and after a couple similar experiences might feel left out and leave the forum. I'd hate to hurt Totalnewbiemember66's feelings.

Status
Not open for further replies.