Not open for further replies.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Hey guys,
Some people have complained that they get too many email notifications from the forums, so I made a change, but need your feedback.
The feature that sends an automatic email anytime someone posts in a topic you have posted in can be turned on or off. I think most people don't know where to find this.
In the early days of the site, in an attempt to get return visitors, and to grow the forums and the site, I set this feature to be automatically turned on, and you had to manually turn it off.
I just changed it so it is now turned off by default.
I am pretty sure I will leave it this way now, as I think the forums are self-sustaining at this point, and I don't want people to get annoyed with so many emails.
Here is what I need your input on:
I do not know if this feature was turned off for everybody. If there are some of you that want to receive the email notifications, and you are not receiving them anymore, please let me know.
Otherwise, carry on with smoking and chatting.
The feature can be found by clicking on your name in a post, which will take you to your Profile. Then choose Edit, and in the middle of the page, look for Favorites Notification. There is a checkbox. Check it if you want the emails.
Note: I am moving today, so I won't be online until tonight or tomorrow. It's just down the hall to a bigger Penthouse Condo in the same building, but it still takes all day.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Thanks, Kevin. I didn't mind the emails, but I think it'd be better if we had the option of getting a "Daily Email Digest" that put all of the posts of the day in the thread(s) the member commented on into one email. That'd make it easier for some of us to follow conversations but also keep the emails to a minimum.
BTW, good luck on the move. I hope the moving guys don't lose any of your stash or collection. ;-)

classicgeek

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 8, 2010
I for one will be turning the option back on. I'm on or around my computer almost all day and I don't mind the extra traffic. The emails make the threads feel like a conversation to me. I would consider switching to a digest if it was available, but probably wouldn't go for it.
Keep up the great work, Kevin and good luck with the move.
Simon

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Thanks for the feedback guys. I just got back online. It was only 24 hours with no cable, but it seemed waaay longer.
Ironically, regarding moving, I can't find my main lighter and tamper now. LOL. I did find my travel pipe bag and got a lighter and tamper out of it though.

kcvet67

Jul 6, 2010
Since the change, updated posts aren't changing back to blue (for me at least) the way they used to. Any chance that the two are related?

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
kcvet67 said: Since the change, updated posts aren't changing back to blue (for me at least) the way they used to. Any chance that the two are related?
That is your browser setting and not related to the site. Clear cache and they should turn blue.

classicgeek

Apr 8, 2010
Uhhh... me too. I haven't had any email since yesterday morning and I've tried following Kevin's advice in the first post above. Is this one of those "Matrix" situations? You only have to realize the truth: there is no checkbox.
Will PM Kevin and see what's up.
Simon

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
Classicgeek Said: Is this one of those "Matrix" situations? You only have to realize the truth: there is no checkbox.
You are correct, there is no check box. Kevin removed it because there is a glitch in the system. He said that it should be back soon.

juozapas

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2010
Barrie,Ontario,CANADA
I have only checked the box for the administrator to forward any emails to my mail. I find that if I have a lot of notifications it just clutters my inbox...(wow like is so hard....ha,ha,ha,...).

It's great to have all the options available in case I want to change any incoming mails.

Great job you guys...I really appreciate it !!

Status
Not open for further replies.