PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcicero

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 23, 2019
Michigan
Good-Bye Cigarettes, Hello Pipe - Pipedia - https://pipedia.org/wiki/Good-Bye_Cigarettes,_Hello_Pipe

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post this link but it does contain some very good information in regards to transitioning from cigarettes to a pipe. I too struggled with cigarettes and the best I can tell you is that it is a process. Cigarettes are not only super addictive, they are super convenient. It really takes a strong will to give them up. I would suggest getting your hands on some blends that have a higher nicotine content. The stronger blends will help you satiate your need for nicotine. Start slow and don't beat yourself up when you reach for a cigarette. Try to find a time during the day when you can sit down and really enjoy your pipe and learn it's nuances. The nic hit is a bit slower with a pipe but it is definitely there. Quitting cigarettes is a battle and you have to approach it as such. This means planning your day and having a pipe ready for those times when you know your going to need some nicotine. Trust me, it can be done and eventually you will begin to appreciate the fine tobaccos that you put in your pipe versus the garbage tobacco they put in cigarettes. Good luck in your quest.
Thanks. I'll definitely try some of this advice.

Reactions: blackpowderpiper
Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
I'm still smoking few cigarttes(mostly traditional Russian Papierozow) or cigarillos per day,not more than 4-5 though, and now I'm noticing how inferior quality leaf they are using in todays cigarettes, they do not taste almost nothing, I did not switch to pipe cold turkey but rather gradually,moreover since my youth I been smoking pipes on and off but the day when I reached my 50ies I said myself, Paul the day has come ,are you ready to face that challenge''I'm glad I did,my only regret I should a been done this switch long ago, now when some significant money were invested in brand new pipes and tobaccies I have no option left but keep choocing on,lol

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I am working on dropping cigs in favor of the pipe as well. I go 1 day on 1 day off usually right now. I haven't been able to kick it completely yet. But for me the problem is that pipes are not designed to give you a prescription of nicotine. When a cig is done, I've gotten my prescription and can now go about my day until the next time to take the med. With a pipe, I'm not clear on when I've had enough so I find it in my hand constantly through the day. Also, if I get stressed out and want nic, it's not very efficient to grab the pipe when a cig can calm me down in 1 sec. I'd love to just have a bowl in the am and a bowl in the PM, no cigs, and have pipe smoking take up no more than 3 hrs of my day. But right now whatever the cigs have in them, in that exact amount, just has me. I think I'm making progress though.
Getting some super high octane pipe tobacco has been instrumental to my success in making the transition. Particularly in the morning, I find myself jonesing pretty hard. Here is a list if tobaccos I've found suitable for my nicotine satisfaction.

GHC: Dark Flake, Dark Plug, Kendal Dark, brown ropes
SG: 1792 Flake, Brown No. 4
MB: HH Bold Kentucky
GLP: Triple Play, JackKnife plug
C&D: Burley Flake #3

Smoke them as often as you feel you need to. I also keep a tin of General Swedish Snus around when a pipeis inconvenient. If you can put together a few days where you abstain from cigarettes entirely you might find your addiction adapting to the pipe. Maybe try to go a weekend with just the pipe as a source of nicotine if possible. Good luck!

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
I love my pipe. The Flavors of the tobacco are exciting. Pipe smoking is the best form of meditation and relaxing that i have found. I can't help but wonder if pipes are a steady source of nicotine at all. especially with the pros here that say they can lay their pipes down and pick them up as they please. I've been stuck on the GH ropes the coconut is my favorite, just for the flavor of tobacco.. even better if I can coax out that sun tan oil flavor. Even with all the talk of nic hit in those ropes, I'm still not sure if I can really notice it at all. My pipes do allow me to smoke and breathe fresh air at the same time. Although I still have to beat the nicotine addiction and I'm starting to realize they won't help with that. Good luck, maybe one day we can kick those damn cigarettes before they kick us. I still always want a cigarette after a pipe.. but with time hopefully I can confuse the monkey on my back.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Some tough love on this thread, I agree with a lot of what was said so far: if you are nicotine-free for 3 years then steer clear.

To answer your question, if you want to come to the pipe do it for the flavour of combusted tobacco and the heap of amazing blends that are out there. not for any ritual. Pipe tobacco is so much more flavourful than cigarette tobacco that I doubt you'd want to go back to cigs UNLESS you need the instant nicotine hit.

Dissident_Mantis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 8, 2020
I went from smoking a pack a day for 5 years to vaping. Vaping was expensive and after a few months I felt even worse than I did when I was smoking. Switched over to pipes and haven't had any problems. In fact cigs don't really do it for me anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.