PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
Hey all.
I sing for a living, and for 5 weeks I've been having trouble with my voice. Even talking is a strain. I've taken a break from everything that is "bad"- coffee, caffeine, soda, alcohol, and....the pipe. I'm also being treated for just some horrendous reflux so that's part of why everything is on that list too. Tomorrow I see an ENT to discuss my vocal issues.
This is just killing me. No coffee, no Gin & Tonic....and no pipe. Its a nice night and I just took the dog for a walk and I wanted a pipe so bad. This sucks.

mrjerke

Lifer
Jun 10, 2013
Midwest
Sorry to hear Tarak. And for all us who know you personally we know how hard it is for you to not talk. :wink:
But rest you must. I'll do enough smoking for both of us.
Get well my friend.

piperl12

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2012
Get well my friend! I am suffering a cold right now so I know about the temptation of the pipe calling to you when you go to walk the dog. I have a three pipe rack on the wall by the front door so it is easy for me to grab one on the way out the door.

Jan 8, 2013
That reflux could be a big part of it too. Really messes with the esophogus (or however you spell that... too lazy to look right now)Take care of those pipes, brother, and smoke a pipe when you're able. Gotta take care of the instrument first and foremost. Get well.

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
Tarak, apart from what you've said I know nothing of your details, but with a bit of luck acid reflux could be a major part of the problem with your voice. If you are having significant heartburn this could mean that some of the refluxing gastric acid is affecting your vocal cords. Acid reflux is much easier to treat these days; 'proton pump inhibitors' taken orally can often wipe it out - fingers crossed. Good luck!!!

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
Acid reflux is not fun. I started getting it when I hit 40. I just avoid certain foods and do not eat after 7 pm. For the most part that works for me. I did not like taking pills all the time for it. Hang in there hopefully this is a temporary thing and will pass?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Tarak, take are of your instrument, as vocalists call their voices. The tobacco pipes won't run off

while your vocal pipes get better. Yeah, that reflux is a bummer. Good that you are on these health

issues. Do that first.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
Thanks all. Undoubtedly the reflux and vocal issues could be connected. Question is what the current damage is. I'm sitting on the office right now waiting for the doc.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Good luck tarak. FWIW, I had bad reflux years ago. I gave up coffee for about 2-3 mos. My reflux went away completely. After that I returned to coffee and yet my reflux hasn't returned. So who knows - maybe it will reverse itself after a break.

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
I had suffered with acid reflux for over 10 years before I finally decided to do something about it. Doc prescribed omeprazole and it is basically wiped out for over 5 years now. Good luck buddy.

bryanf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 16, 2013
I had really, really bad gastritis last year, and took omeprazole which cleared it right up. I got it because I was drinking too much white wine. The doctor said to stay away from white wine and beer, but I could drink as much red wine as I liked. That's why I like French doctors.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
Hey all. Report from the ENT:
He does not think I have vocal issues due to reflux.

He says my vocal chords have thickened from overuse, and recommends steroids and vocal rest (in December working for a church- right!)

He also said he thinks my pipe smoking is "no big deal" as it relates to singing. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.