Forbidden Fruit - Mixing Blends Together.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hans

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2012
I know in some ways this is a taboo but at the same time i've read many of you guys and gals doing it.

Mixing your blends.

After over indulging in Black House and Frog Morton's Cellar for the past week i took a couple days to just smoke mostly Trout Stream in a cob. I gotta say going back to something light and sweet was really relaxing and quite a nice experience. so nice that i haven't wanted anything else for the past two days. But this evening i decided i needed a little bit of spice. So i added one pinch of Larry's Blend into two pinches of Trout Stream.

HOLY LORD it was a treat. The latakia from Larry's Blend was immediately present but very very smooth. The sweet creaminess that came through with the Trout Stream was unbelievable! The whole bowl smoked perfectly down to a fine white dottle. i will definitely do this again.
Do you have any guilty pleasures?

also i wonder if there is a blend that already achieves this that i could try.

discuss and be merry!

guitarguy86

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2012
I smoked some Captain Black White in my pipe, right after smoking a Latakia blend, and the remnants of the previous bowl made Captain Black better, IMO.

jeffboyrd

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 31, 2012
I blend Lanes BWOB with vanilla cased tobaccos quite a bit. The BWOB has a hint of coconut and I think it goes well with vanilla.

cleidophoros

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 12, 2012
Right now I am smoking C&D's Billy Bud mixed with MC's Frog Morton. Equal parts.

FM was too light and BB was too harsh; the mixture is pretty much perfect.

hans

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2012
Yes Roth i've done that same thing but usually not to any great effect. This time it was a joy.

I too am interested in making my own blends but it shall have to wait till i have a bit more moolah in the coffers.
Gray, let us know what you think!

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
I've found that most anything mixed half and half with Scotty's Butternut burley is very tasty. A favorite is SBB with Newminster Blackberry Brandy.

shawn

Jan 1, 2012
Sometimes I dance like no one is watching... Ooo wait-a-minute I mix bacca on occausion is what I mean.

tiltjlp

Can't Leave
Apr 9, 2011
Cheviot Ohio
Once you have bought and paid for tobacco, nothing you do is taboo, as long as you don't try to resell the Mix as your own New Blend. I'm a fsn of Mac Baren blends, and have come up with several home blends combining different favorites.

willwoodbine

Lurker
Nov 30, 2012
Im always doing this, I also have a dregs jar. When ever I have a bowl or two left in a tin/pack I just through it in a jar with the other bits, it currently tastes like BBQ'd fruit!

gray4lines

Nov 6, 2012
KY
wow
Larry's blend plusTrout stream is awesome.
I mixed a little jar of about 2 parts Trout to 1 part Larry.
"Larry'sTrout"
Sweet butterscotch, caramel plus a little toasty smokey flavor. It's all I've smoked today!

tedvig

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 21, 2011
I recently spiced up some Prince Albert with OGS, Dunhill Flake and BCA. It ended up being a fine smoke.

rhogg

Can't Leave
Jun 14, 2011
I have a scrap jar..... shake and smoke. Weirdly amazing. It is always great.

hans

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2012
Hey gray I'm glad you liked my idea. It's quite a tribute to Russ at HH and his amazing blends.
I also have my own "best of the rest" scraps jar which is currently terrible. The boss gave me a jar which apparently wasn't cleaned out good enough and now that smells like pickles!

hans

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2012
Today's experiment with 2 more of Russ's blends: Vermont Meat Candy and Black House.

I split it about 50/50. I was surprised how mellow his has tasted throughout the whole bowl with little accents of Latakia here and there. Both blends are creamy and smoky but now it's really mushroom creamy. In fact it just hit me that this reminds me a lot of Frog Morton's Cellar.

A tiny hint of sweetness, very smooth and smoky cream.

Give it a shot!

Jan 8, 2013
I'm dying to get some more tobacco... not just for that tobacco in particular, but so I can add more leftovers to the mix I've labeled "Puffin' Stuff" Right now there's not much to it and it's just in a baggy. But I'm getting a jar for it, and plan on just adding whatever to it whenever. I figure it can either be awesome, or crap.
EDIT: I'm hoping for awesome.

piperl12

Apr 7, 2012
Well, I haven't had good luck with a odds and ends jar so far, I have even tried vacumn packing some bourbon or whiskey in the bottle to see if I could improve the taste I guess I'll see what happens with it in ten years. In the meantime though I had some Pirate Kake that was just horrible on it's own. No flavour tastes like chewing on charcoal. I mixed some aged deep hollow in and it's now got a nice Virginia sweetness too it. Problem is I like the deep hollow on its own. I think half the fun is experimenting one bowl at a time.

Jan 14, 2013
Oregon
I recently received some Altadis aromatic and mixed it with my Largo Original. It improved the taste a bit. I also plan on taking pinches here and there from future tobaccos and throw them into a jar until it's full. I tend to experiment a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.