PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
So today for whatever reason I decided to step outside the all too familiar comfort zone I've been living in as it relates to pipe smoking. I'll share here in the hopes of keeping some of the noobs from becoming curmudgeons earlier than they need too.
I've been in a 3 blend rotation for awhile now with an occasional swing out to something I have jarred or perhaps an already open tin but mainly it's been Dunhill's EMP, 965 and Nightcap and smoked in that order. It's all been good and maybe it's reading about folks who pack a parfait of 2 or 3 mixtures at once, ( something I've never tried,btw) I was in between chores and taking a needed break as I took a pinch of 965 and one of NC and tossed them in an empty tin and mixed it all up. I packed a favorite Italian estate and used the "screw" pack method I saw on the James Fox video (I've been liking it a lot) and had at it. I was completely taken by surprise by what I was tasting, I'm completely intimate with shat to expect from either mixture, on its own. The melded taste of the 2 together was pretty nice as well as being totally new. There was an elevated level of sweetness and smoothness that caught me off guard.
The point of all this rambling is to encourage some of you out there to mix it up a bit, do some experimenting and see if you can enhance your enjoyment in the time you have to enjoy your pipes. I'm not going to get crazy with my mix and match methodology but I've learned something here, never say never. Your palette can guide you as you voyage through the world of tobacco and all of us experience these blends in different ways. Good smoking!

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
I agree 100% with you on this, and i mix blends together all the time just to try something new and different. Sometimes it works and is delicious and sometimes it doesn't and tastes like dirt. Worst case scenario i am out a couple flakes of tobacco and the knowledge to never try that mixture again (I only mix a half flake of each or the equivalent for this reason), lol.
I posted this on the St. James thread earlier, but last night i mixed a flake of St. James and a flake of Solani ABF together and after letting them sit to dry for a couple hours, i packed it up in my Castello and it was very good. An excellent VaPerBurl combination i would recommend for those who like these types of tobaccos.
Good thread, settersbrace, good thread indeed.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
:lol: Nearly all my attempts to "mix something up for a change" have resulted in failure. Poor judgment, I guess.

But over time I've found a wide variety of blends that I like, and the stock blends are always better than what I can concoct.
I'm glad you reported that 965 and Nightcap make a great mix. A lot of guys will probably be grateful for the info.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
I'll admit that when I see posts where someone says they took this and that and blended them or they are adding condiment tobacco to an existing mixture, I'm envious because they are braver than me, lol. I figured if I stay within the same brand and genre, how bad could I mess up? Greg Pease equates tobacco blending to cooking especially when dealing with stuff like Perique or Latakia and one can only stand in awe of how intricate his palette or Russ O's palette must be. It's important to note that I'm in no way on some search for the perfect tobacco because if there's even one out there, I never hope I find it. What we do as pipe smokers, tasting, experimenting and sharing is what it's all about.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Coniejm, did you get a chance to try some of the mixture? As an update I have been unable to stop smoking the stuff since I started mixing it yesterday. I'll lay off for a couple days and come back to it. It's not like it's reinventing the wheel but it just amazed the crap out of me what just a little experimentation can do for a tobacco mixture. ;-)

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
For the life of me, I don't know why I have never tried this (besides having a mixed leftovers tin). It only makes sense but I suppose I was content to leave the blending in someone else's hands. I may have to start some limited experimenting.

swmalone

Lurker
May 21, 2014
I read stuff like this and get excited, but I think it will be a while before I attempt this. I still haven't found a blend I really like. I live in the boonies of Northern Utah and the nearest tobacco store is 20 miles away and their selection of pipe tobacco is pretty limited. They have been kind enough to offer me small samples for free so I don't drop money on something I don't like. So far I think my favorite is a vanilla cavendish. I'm glad I stumbled across these forums, such great info.

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
I did try a bowl with equal parts 965 and Nightcap in a Peterson Antique Collection 1908 Bent Billiard last night. It was my last smoke of the evening. It was a very pleasant smoke and I agree with your assessment of the increased sweetness and smoothness; I'm guessing that's due to the combination of Macedonia Bright in the 965 and the sweet Virginia in the Nightcap. I will certainly try this again, perhaps in a pipe with a wider bowl next time.
I have some straight Dark-fired Kentucky that I plan on adding to some blends to see how the flavors change, and I've ordered some Virginia and also some Perique that I may try my hand at some home-blending in the near future.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
I've been kicking around getting a supply of blending Perique to have on hand for just such occassions. Good luck on your blending!

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I think these small foil baking pans are nifty for mixing and/or drying. Probably available at most grocery stores.

kitchendance_2272_103986964

curl

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 29, 2014
I started to read your post and I assumed you would end up talking about trying a totally new tin of tobacco.
I'm just starting out in my pipe life so I have lots of different tins of tobacco. I'm trying to figure out what I like. I assumed at some point one of the tobaccos will stand out above all the rest, at which time I'll buy it by the pound forsaking all others. The pipe life would be simpler and less expensive if that happened.
But maybe it won't. Maybe I'll be consigned to the fresh hell of always having a dozen open tins and always having my nose in the air sniffing around for something new.

Jan 8, 2013
Indeed you will. You will probably settle on something you really like, for a while... you will always want an alternative or two on hand, and the temptation to try new blends will eat at your soul unless you feed it. Give up the struggle, embrace the TAD.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I mix tobaccos in a ceramic bowl made by a N.C. potter. It allows me to touch and rub out the leaf if I feel

it needs that. I never mix more than a few bowls worth. Sometimes I'm precise, and keep track of how many

parts of each I'm adding, and other times it's more impromptu. Sometimes when I come back after the mix

has had time to dry out, it smokes even better. A simple good mix is equal parts of Virginia and burley, plus

a healthy pinch of Cavendish. That is almost always good. You can throw in the dregs of other leaf, but

I wouldn't get too many aromatic flavorings going, which can just taste harsh or odd.

Status
Not open for further replies.