PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
I will be reviewing FM Original vs. the Cellar for my own purposes and thought you guys might be interested in hearing the results. I am a huge FM Original fan and essentially everyone that has had both or more has stated that Cellar is the best, time to see if they are right! I got one brand new, just opened tin of each kind (today) put into jars; favorite this post if your interested and the the review will be up in a few days as a reply in this thread, thanks! You may post your comparisons here as well if you have tried them both, the more the better!
PS: For those who don't know, FM = Frog Morton by McClelland

alex87

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 30, 2012
Excellent idea Eric. I have only tried the original FM and loved it so I am eager to see what you have to say on the Cellar. Happy smoking and I will be watching this space!

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
You guys are more than welcome to post your comparisons on this thread as well, we can make it like a community thing. If they are that different as you say Roth, I might have to stock them both!

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
Makes sense, the Cellar definitely smells dreamy, while the original smells like a standard light English blend (ketchupy). I'll be smoking the Cellar for the next few days and then switch back to the original.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Very cool Eric - be interested in your opinion. I've only tried FMC - and I like it a lot - I need to try all of the other Froggies too.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
Just tried FMC, it is truly fantastic, I can see why it is so highly reviewed. I will have to hold off on my opinions though for a few days as I try it for 3 days and the other for 3 days. The one thing I love about the froggies, they are the only blend I like with zero bite. Every blend bites a little but these.

werdna

Can't Leave
Jun 6, 2013
Eric, I've been reading your posts with much interest, recently. I'm (im)patiently waiting for your report. You are gaining a following, keep up the good work.

pipebbq

Lurker
Jul 30, 2013
Though I'm new to both this forum and smoking a pipe, I have indeed fallen in love with Frog Morton Cellar. It is in my top five at this point. Very much looking forward to your comparison review!

rayje589

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2012
It might be due to the fact I'm not much of a whiskey fan but I prefer the FM original to the Celler.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
Thanks werdna, that brightened up my day :) I am taking a couple of days break from this adventure, bit the hell out of my tongue while I was sleeping, lots of open wounds on it.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
Sorry guys, had this one on hold because I burned my tongue badly (on hot food) after the sleeping thing (just not my week), and when I recovered, the weather got so humid here for weeks to dry out the tobacco properly (85%-95%), it's just a little on the wet side. I only review tobacco when I get it to the perfect moisture level. I'll hopefully have them dried to my satisfaction and reviewed soon! This is also keeping my BBF post on hold as well.
After looking at the weather, it's 35% right now, so I am drying today and everything should be alright, finally!

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
I have a fresh can of FM that I feel inspired to go home and dig into because of this post. I've more or less dedicate my recently acquired Peterson Killarney to English/lat blends as I've smoked more than a few bowls of Nightcap out of it. Hell of a week to chew your tongue up and then burn it.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Original FM and Cellar are, IMO, two completely different animals. Both are excellent tobaccos! If I'm in the mood for something sweet, I'll go with the Cellar. If I want more Latakia, I'll go with the Original. I've now had all of the FM blends, and have enjoyed all of them! To pick a favorite would be difficult to say the least! I have to say, out of the 5 of them, I would rank OTB at #5 , I'm just not a big Perique fan. OTB is one of the few Perique blends I'll actually smoke!

msandoval858

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
For me it's hard to compare the original FM to any of the other simply because it's a classic blend that stands on it's own. To my palate, it's a fairly on dimensional but very tasty and cool burning latakia. It was one of my first ventures in to latakia years ago when I started out and to this day I appreciate it for what it is.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
For me Cellar is head and shoulders above the rest of the Frog Morton's and I love all of the one's I've tried so far.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
I'll have to give FMC a try now. I love FM a lot, cask aged sounds great. Have to order it offline, my nearest two local BMs either don't carry FM (Tewksbury) or only have FM and FMOT (Prince Philips). Need me some more Frog!

Status
Not open for further replies.