PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

lasttango

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
I didn't want to hijack the thread on favorite pipe artisan, so I'll ask here: who flyfishes? Where do you fish?
I'll start. My pop inducted me into fly fishing in my early teens. We are from upstate NY, so I primarily fish streams around the Finger Lakes. I also Flyfish on the west branch of the Delaware river in NY and all over the Adirondacks.
Haven't been yet this year... sad to say.
My pop builds his life around fly fishing. He goes to Montana, Colorado, Maine etc...

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
I flyfish. Mostly in the Kankakee river and ......well..... a few places that run into it.
Smallmouth bass mostly.

lasttango

Sep 29, 2012
On the subject of Bamboo rods... My great grandfather was a friend and hunting+fishing buddy of L.L. Bean. He got to test many of the early products before LL Bean sold them. We have a handful of original Bamboo Fly rods and even a Winchester 22 that was gifted from LL Bean.

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
The only cane rod I have is an old Heddon Salmon Special 8wt. It was gifted to me. I use it for Largemouth and Pike on small lakes and ponds, from a belly boat.
It will throw a 9wt with a heavy bite tip perfectly.

hiplainsdrifter

Jan 8, 2012
It is interesting that fly fishing has become so versatile that you could pursue most species with a fly rod. I would like to get into chasing pike, muskie, and carp more, but for now I am hooked on high altitude golden trout and salmonfly hatches.

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
I have caught a few carp on a 6wt. The first was by accident. The phrase "fresh water Bonefish" is quite accurate. I was into the backing before I knew it had happened.
It seems we all want what we don't have. I'd love to be fishing for trout but I fish for what is near me.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
I've been a flyfisher for many years. Although most of my fishing is done with graphite rods, I do have two bamboo rods that I built myself. A 7'9" 5 wt and 6'6" 3 wt. I was lucky enough to be mentored through the building of the rods by a fine rod maker.
We are a little more limited up here in southern Ontario, Canada for trout water, but we have loads of bass water. This spring was an absolute disaster for flooding up here and not a single trout stream within 3 hours of me what been fishable, but I did manage to get to a friend's cottage for some smallmouth fishing last weekend.
@lasttango...The west branch of the AuSauble by Lake Placid as well and the Delaware and Beverkill in around Roscoe NY in the Catskills are two of my favourite places in the world :)
NlEqHZ4TIMNdcOVZxuulLeG8wSWt76giJ9p4Cio0aB1KbZOZaz7WvyLnwq_fGToQQuQDonNfJ7UqoapqFwRQWHI9maKL7yQtbm20std0rkpgI3WxABj3MeZ-7xAxD70B_jSrJZvZBnC5mJNBu-301NiNzk2GCNURpVOlp9hEifUpPnah37OSx9al43viwZ9iz4Gm-u4yFOLWz2A7LfABkO5dLV5RCT4xpPzZGMW3WIJ5Sc1_lzZsIZ8xpoUBi5iaSnsOGqoIpO5DnkYB2V6wjr9_W0w5HKpRMnCRn84yp4rVkEu-2eG70D6g4h1PsQIy95mrTNNdZSz9aCQpq7tf-epn2VxgyP2y6D-qjqinN385q68M-7RrbMwfKylSJSUXRZG3i062gbU3Va99XGLflcIEeTWrM31gJrHBpcgblCyJPkJVatR6CQUHHhRfY19FALqVNR8QlrS8ljDAr7N1Hw11yoCPfctj4Mi3qgB8e725R4KlEPSRCfij6WpG9a4tmwryJuieIStQ59lRDsAxigwHwrO_ut79qyjqBPRQHWZN2BPGuICdJQhAqwQPfYlPEV-rCFU2eBCbDsz__whv6BjtnTZDmBvnCaDpQ2lZLIN9fhruk1qZTCDD=w1000-h1333-no

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
My brother would spend every day of the Summer and Fall saltwater flyfishing around and off Montauk if he could. When I lived out there, I would also go along when I could, but using spinning rods. Striped Bass, Mahi Mahi, False Albacore, and every now and then Bluefin tuna. Rods are graphite 8wt to 10wt, Bluefin 12wt. These Mahi are from about 15 miles off Montauk last Summer.
mahi2-600x450.jpg

mahi3-600x450.jpg

mahi-600x450.jpg

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Mostly 1 and 2 wgt. on the Copper River system for Grayling. Nothing better when less than thirty minutes from water to pan. Steelhead now and then in SE Alaska. "Bonefish are on my bucket list." He added wistfully.

May 4, 2015
For those interested in fly fishing, a friend of mine owns the Reno Fly Shop and hosts a fantastic podcast. Should check it out.
Should just be able to search Reno Fly Shop Podcast to find it.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
Bonefish are on my bucket list
If you're a flyfisher, before you die, you must go bone fishing :)
I'll remember my first bonefish till the day I die. He took me down to more than half the backing on an 8wt, doubled it over in the last part of the fight and then almost caused me to faint when I found out it was a small 4 pounder.
Warren...sell your Dunhill if you need to, but go bone fishing :)

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
I am a fly fisherman as well. I mostly fish lakes and ponds for smallmouth and bluegill. There is only one source for trout that is within driving distance of my home, there is a tailwater to a dam about an hour from me. The state stocks the Brookville tailwater with rainbows early in the spring and browns in mid-May.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
Waiting for fishnbanjo to post the picture of his 20 bamboo rods all lined up.
I use to fly fish mainly for Bluegill, but haven't been since getting sick. I did take the 4wt. Powell 7' 6" rod out recently to try casting with my limited arm/ hand strength.

drennan

Can't Leave
Mar 30, 2014
Normandy
I live in Normandy and do alot of fly fishing on the local chalk streams the Risle, Iton and Arve. It tends to be very classical fly fishing so think upstream dries as opposed to 2 inch zoo cougars. Very enjoyable fishing but challenging.
I'm also a keen coarse angler too, infact at 5am this morning I was float fishing for Tench with worms, maggots and corn. It was classic stuff, mist being burnt off my the sun, pin head bubbles by the float and big fat hard fighting tench - lovely.

lasttango

Sep 29, 2012
@bassbug... The west branch of the AuSauble by Lake Placid is one of my favs too... After a week in the St. Regis area camping and fly fishing, we'd stay at the Hungry Trout and fish that Trophy stretch of the AuSauble for a couple days...
I used to go to the west branch angler in Deposit, NY. My cousin actually got married there. It was a site! All were encouraged to wear their fishing gear... Bride and groom in neoprene waders... The pastor... groomsmen etc...
Growing up in Ithaca, my favorite place was a stream called Salmon Creek. It had a ton of wild trout and fed into Cayuga Lake.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
I've had more than a couple of beers at the Hungry Trout :) Always go in to the fly shop, spend a few bucks and get a bit of info on how the river is fishing.
I didn't make it this year, but a bunch of friends and I do an annual fishing trip and stay at the Wilmington Notch campground. Always the weekend after Memorial day. My favourite spot on the Au Sable is just upstream of the Monument Falls.

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
Mostly 1 and 2 wgt. on the Copper River system for Grayling

Hey Warren, how big do the Grayling get up there? Here in Colorado my best is a 16" fish. Just assumed they get bigger up there, just like the moose and bear.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
The State record is nearly two feet. Your sixteen incher is nice and would be a great catch up here. The norm, for me, is ten/twelve inches.
I love it when the ice is just out and the fish are hitting dry flies before they hit the water. Pick a fish and try to lay fly right in front of its nose.

Status
Not open for further replies.