PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
My fly fishing is mostly for Brook Trout (Speckled) and Atlantic Salmon on the Nashwaak River and the Main Southwest Miramichi River. We used to go to the Northwest Miramichi ( lottery draw )every couple of years but the fishing has dropped off up there. Had a Salmon fishing trip up to the Restigouche years ago, heaven on earth :worship:

All of our Salmon rivers are designated fly fishing only :clap:
banks-american-pool-1997-472x600.jpg

American Pool, Northwest Miramichi 1997

fluffie666

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2014
I recently bought a 5wt rod with a click and pawl reel to practice casting with. I spend a few hours a week in the back yard with a yarn fly. Casting a fly rod certainly isn't the simplest thing I've tried to teach myself. I haven't even taken my rod to the water yet. My cast is getting better though. Slowly.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
fluffie,
Remember these three things and your casting will be way beyond sufficient.
1. The wrist does not bend. It's the forearm that acts as a single unit.

2. Forward cast goes only to the 1 o'clock position, back cast to the 11 o'clock position.

3. It's a SUDDEN and COMPLETE STOP (can't emphasize this enough) between the forward and back casting strokes

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Fly fishing mostly the Beaverkill, Willowemoc, Neversink and Esopus in the Catskills.
Closer to home the croton, cross and 10 mile rivers. Also stripers and bluefish on Cape Cod.
Although I haven't been in a few years. I just started teaching my son this year.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I have a favorite place where I have to deliver the fly from the side more often than not. Side casting is another facet of fly fishing that requires a bit of practice. Same basic deliver, only horizontal.
Spey fishing has my interest right now. Any suggestions for a two handed rod? I might give it a try on Steelhead.

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
I one little creek I fish in the banks are more like a tiny canyon. The Roll cast has saved my ass many times.

fluffie666

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2014
Thanks bassbug. Tips are always appreciated. I bought a few books by Dave Whitlock and when I go out for a casting session, I check out a few youtube vids so I can see the motion. I have all the gear. I'm just getting a little more comfortable before I head out to the water.

Great thread BTW. Fish on!

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
fluffie,
Get out on the water...the fish will not criticize your casting skills..really :)
If you're trout fishing, anything past 20-25 feet and your chances of actually setting the hook are greatly lowered. If you're bass fishing, a sloppy cast that hits the water hard will actually "call" the fish up :)
It's a win win situation, so just get out there and fish.

solanus

Lurker
Jul 22, 2017
Pennsylvania, USA
My dad took me flyfishing for the first time when I was 9 or 10. It took me a few trips, but once I hooked my first brown trout I was hooked (pun intended) and I've been doing it ever since. We've gone out to Montana twice and are looking to head out to central Pennsylvania. Normally we nymph fish a couple small streams in Weatern PA. Haven't been able to get out much this year since our trip to Montana. It's been too hot so the streams are either too low and hot for the fish or it's blown out from all the rain.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
My Mother fly-fished as a child, and encouraged me to take up the rod. A year of employment with The Orvis Company subsequently cemented my interest.
My favorite streams are in North Carolina, Michigan, Pennsylvania, and New York state. Additionally I fish the flats off of Fisher Island, Florida, and can attest that bonefish on a fly are great fun!

surenot

Lurker
Jul 5, 2017
Bugslinger here as well. I have been fishing all of my life and started fly fishing about five years ago. I mostly go for trout. I am dying for an opportunity to fly some blue water but haven't had an opportunity since the new baby came. I did however get to catch some salmon last year in Juneau and I cannot wait to go back.

thomasw

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 5, 2016
I have been fly fishing and tying flies since a teenager. I live in British Columbia, Canada and the opportunities to cast for trout, steelhead and salmon are numerable. Many lakes and streams are fly-only here; as well, many are catch-and-release or have very strict limits. I have a few trout rods, a double-hander for steelhead and even a sweet little 7ft bamboo rod I use for fishing small rainbows on the Skagit R.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
cimg1599-450x600.jpg

Steelhead from Walnut Creek off Lake Erie
I fly fish mostly Maryland and Virginia trout streams, float fish the Potomac for smallies, kayak fish for stripers on the Chesapeake Bay, and large mouth anywhere.
20160729_074243-600x450.jpg

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
(Sorry for the upside down image. Thought I knew how to fix the rotation problem with the PM image utility but couldn't fix it no matter how many degrees I rotated it to compensate. I hope this feature gets fixed)
Pax

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
@brass those are some nice fish.
@dochudson, we stayed at Fuller's North Branch which I think is just upstream of Gates lodge.
Here is a pic of the Au Sable.

ausable-600x450.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.