PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
I hit the water for the first time this spring and while the water is too high for serious fishing, just being on the water without a another human for miles was reason enough. I mostly smoked my pipe and watched the wildlife... There seemed to be an inordinate number in my vicinity. From porcupines, fishers, and otters to turkeys and owl's. Maybe it was the Balkan Blue wafting through the air. My condolences to all stuck in the office or behind a wheel today. But I needed this cleansing.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Yes, they do. The last few ounces I have left. I liked McClelland blends but mostly just Balkan Blue and Blackwoods... And I do miss the vinegary aroma from a new tin.

fluffie666

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2014
Fly fishing is one of the things I live for. I was also out today. Found a small mountain creek close to home here in eastern pa. I dipped my bug net in the water, pulled out a green caddis larvae and a light brown colored stone fly nymph. I watched the brookies dart around in the water. Didn't catch a damn thing either but just to be out was beautiful with a bowl of easy smoking Amphora Original. I'll go out again tomorrow. I'm glad you had a good day out there Doc. Plenty of lovely days ahead for it.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Sounds like a good day was had. I lived in Sinking Spring, PA for a few years. If you haven't fished Pine Creek and tribs above and west of Williamsport (not exactly eastern) such as Slate Run, you need to do so. The pine is more like a Montana River.

I was seriously considering getting into flyfishing Earlier this year. I have been (regular?) fishing my whole life, and I even dabbled in making my own lures. To be honest, it has been watching guys making the flies that was more alluring to me. But, after going over the prices of poles and all of the needed gear that put me off. I went to a free class on casting at an Orvis location, and then realized that the places that I like to fish just don't have the space for the elaborate casts. My fishing holes are heavily wooded, and the creek running through my property has steep banks. I would be smacking rocks or climbing trees to retrieve my lines. So, I am just going to continue crappie and bass fishing. And, when I am wanting more relaxation, I'll just set down and do some catfishing. But, it is still fascinating to watch someone tie flies.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
If you decide to give it a try, there is some very good gear at reasonable levels of cost. My major professor only used the cheapest of gear and out fished everyone. I do not think his rod/reel cost more than 70 or so dollars.
And you can roll cast in tight quarters to avoid the trees.
Also, using a fly for bass or bream is a blast.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
I fly fished a lot of years in Arkansas, Georgia, Tennessee and North Carolina. Nothing like it. I tied my own flies and what a thrill that was to hook a rainbow or brown on one of my own ties.

I haven't hit the stream in a good many years now since my knees gave out. I'd love to go again, but I will just have to live in my dreams.

Don't give up, Cosmic. My first pair of waders was blue jeans and tennis shoes. I had a Walmart flyrod and reel with the cheapest fly line I could find.

Before you try tennis shoes, spring for high tops and glue something on the bottom to cut the rock slime, or you will end up down stream.

Hmmm, everyone I have talked to tells me to avoid the cheap... and, at my age, new tricks like just casting might get aggravating, add in avoiding the trees... I don't mind sticking to ultralight gear for my fishing. I find it very rewarding to bring in a 12 pound fish on 5lb line.

And, you are absolutely right, a bad day fishing beats a good day doing most anything else... except sex, ha ha.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
You speak truth. And to address the myth of "avoid cheap gear"... A fly reel is nothing more than a spool to hold line. You do not fight a fish using the reel. You use your hands. You could find a vintage thread bobbin for a large loom and it would work just as well. I laugh at the expense of some of the gear. A kit from Cabelas or Redington is cheap and will last a long time if not forever.
But, ultralight spinning tackle is the best. I too love bass fishing with 6 pound line. The only think I hate is that light line does not handle snags well.

trudger

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2019
‘Burbs of Detroit
Sounds awesome Aquadoc! I also am an avid fly chucker. It is always is a thrill to actually catch a fish but it’s also not the end game for me. Lots of challenges in fly fishing no matter what species of fish your after. Tag alders, pine trees, stumps, kayakers, and my big fat head are all things I “catch”. Wading brings its own challenges because I’m a space cadet who forgets he’s standing in moving water (I’m a good swimmer when I’m scared). I tie flies and that brings an extra gotcha when I do land one on a home made.

Aquadoc is spot on about cost. It’s like buying estate pipes or Danish one offs, both get you where your going.

Tight lines!!

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
I hear you Trudger. I have taken my share of unchosen rides down stream after slipping.
I am lucky that my profession keeps me in a freshwater stream more often than not. I need to somehow find a pack rod/reel that I can carry with my other gear.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Michael: Stick to your guns. Fly fishing with an inexpensive rod and reel is very frustrating. The problem arises when someone says, "Try this!" They hand you a fifty year old handcrafted, 12 foot, bamboo rod with a $700.00USD Hardy. The first cast rolls out perfectly and the fly presents with barely a ripple. A 16inch Grayling/Brown or what have you rises and ... now you are the one hooked!

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
If you haven't fished Pine Creek and tribs above and west of Williamsport (not exactly eastern) such as Slate Run, you need to do so.
I've done it a few times but you're absolutely right. Slate Run and Cedar Run are absolutely magical, especially if you're lucky enough to hit the green drakes.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Doc: They are magic. An old friend died seven years back and I was gifted his six bamboos. Never would have purchased one myself. I made due with various Sage rods over the years though, thoroughly enjoying myself.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Ash, that is a cool looking rig. Will watch some videos. That would work great for what I am looking for.
Bassbug, the upper reaches of the Slate are one of my favorite areas for fishing and just being. Cedar is a bit smaller but I have fished some unreal caddis hatches that left me tired.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Yeh, Warren, well you were not hurting with the Sage rods. We had a rep come through to give a workshop in the early 90s while working on my masters and he gave the three of us that showed up a Sage second with flaws... Mine has such a minor flaw that most cannot find it. With kids in college, no go on any new purchases. I hope one day to own a bamboo. I have fished with a nice vintage bamboo and you are right.... Magic.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
And, you are absolutely right, a bad day fishing beats a good day doing most anything else... except sex, ha ha.
Many years past that now, but even when younger, fishing was still better.

Status
Not open for further replies.