PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I refuse to wear a seatbelt. I'll take being ejected and canoeing my skull on a rock vs burning to death. I've seen enough of that. Give me the ticket officer and move along.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I feel compelled to say that there are good pharmaceutical companies out there doing lots of worthwhile research and producing quality products. Allergan is one that comes to mind as one of the good guys. One of the reasons they have lobbyists is because they are so heavily regulated. If Congress is about to pass laws that affect your bottom line you are going to be there to have a say if you can. BTW, I'm not against regulation, but there is some really bad regulation out there.
One of the harmful things the FDA has done over the past fifteen years or so has allowed monopolies on drug production. A group of investors will swoop in, buy a drug company, amputate the money losing research department and jack up the price on a medication it has sole rights to produce creating high prices and artificial shortages. It's definitely not a free market situation.
As far as vaccines, I think over a hundred million dollars has been paid out in "vaccine court" (Yes, there is one) law suits so far this year.
If we ever want to see cheaper drugs in this country there is going to have to be some tort reform. Same situation for any kind of medical care. Too many people are ready to sue at the drop of a hat.

techie

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2018
As far as vaccines, I think over a hundred million dollars has been paid out in "vaccine court" (Yes, there is one) law suits so far this year.
Ever known anyone who was vaccine damaged? I do, intimately, and it is very sad. The government has a program to pay those who have been vaccine damaged and, yes, it is in the hundreds of millions. Why? Because they also prohibit victims from suing the pharmaceutical companies directly. So while many will crap shoot on getting their shots annually and have no ill effects, there are thousands that don't do so well and pay dearly for it. I see it first hand.
Me, I have never had a vaccine or flue shot or any of that my whole adult life, and I very rarely ever get sick. I have no need to have poisons introduced into my body, and they are poisons. So go ahead and take the risk. This is an issue I am very passionate about from first hand experience.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
The obverse is millions will get he shots with no ill effects and be protected, protect others, by not being a carrier. There's is always going to be "collateral" damage. Some injury is certainly acceptable for the benefit of the millions. Tragic as it is!
So, one pays their nickel and takes their chances. Weigh the risks and take your chances. I do draw the line at people who send kids into public schools not properly protected. Protected from who? The little critters who become the carriers and spread the readily controllable, oft times serious, illnesses. Hell, I know people, some relatives, who smoked and died of cancer. I weighed the risks and still smoke. I investigated many fatal vehicle accidents and still drive.
I'm sorry, your anecdotal observation isn't going to sway me. Too much evidence says vaccines are worth the risk. I'm now convinced so, down for my shot in the morning I go.

Status
Not open for further replies.