PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I know, some do, some don't. Arguments on either side. One of the most ardent refusals I've heard was from a senior scientist and erstwhile acting director of the National Institutes of Health who had worked on flu vaccines, so take that for what it's worth. Knowing both arguments, I've had flu shots regularly over the years hoping it either is efficacious and/or that it was good placebo, which is sometimes as good as efficacious. So far, so good, with the flu. My object in posting this is, if you "do" flu shots, late September or early October seems to be the most effective timing in terms of getting best immunity according to the CDC site, though they'd rather you get it earlier or later than not at all, all the way into the flu season in late winter. I won't try to give much advice on this, since I'm not a pro on the subject, but we're getting to prime time if you're getting a flu shot. Kids and older people benefit the most, since they have the worst time if they catch the flu.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Wow, Cosmic, that's a really early case. Fair warning to the rest of us. Anyone who works in a health facility or in any way with the public ought to think about a flu shot, get one if you will. Most flu is airborne from coughs and sneezes and lingers on doorknobs etc. Cosmic's description is about right.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The science on vaccines in general is pretty strong. Not much problem with smallpox most places these days, for example. When many people participate in being vaccinated, it dampens the incidence of a particular "bug" in general.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Flue shot - You bet, every year. It may or may not work but if it does, I want it!
Shingles Shot - You bet. It may or may not work but if it does, I want it!
Pneumonia Shot - You bet. It may or may not work but if it does, I want it!
All other approved preventive shots - They may or may not work, but if they do, I want 'em.
Pipe Smoking - You bet. It may or may not prolong life as suggested in the 1964 Surgeon's General report, but if it does, I want it!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
warren, one line of thinking is that people who live more remote from population centers are more vulnerable since they aren't exposed to low "doses" of bugs that might give immunity. Also, if you are living alone, there's no one to monitor you, so it might a good calculated move to get the flu shot. I think the vigor of your way of life will impart a high immunity in itself too. But I am not a doc or medical person, so take this as random opinion. pipestud, we're thinking along the same lines on this.

prndl

Lifer
Apr 30, 2014
About this time of year for the last 6-8 years, everybody I know (wife, kids, grandkids, friends, neighbors, dogs, etc.) starts getting on my arse about getting a flu shot.
I don't know why they keep bitching. I haven't had the flu for about 6-8 years.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The rationale is, the older you get, the more vulnerable you are, so cases of flu are much worse, and yes, sometimes fatal. Then there's the idea that you get the shot to protect your family and friends as well. In any case, stay healthy.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I dodged that SOB as many years as I could in the Army, and haven't had once since I retired from there. I have had food poisoning a couple times because I eat like a randy hyena, but I haven't had the flu in 15 years.
They generate the shots off the flu of the year. So often it won't help you against newer strains.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Moose & I always get them. I worked in hospital settings for 30 years & it & TB tests were mandatory. What's-her-name was a social worker & was exposed to some of the "best" carriers, what with clients coming in with kids often sick & playing with the office toys.

chewuch

Lurker
Aug 14, 2018
Many of us here can remember polio, and probably actually knew someone that contracted it. Just after I received the series of injections, they came out with the sugar cubes - lucky me with a sore arm. Mumps and measles too. I'm a believer in vaccination. Now if they can come up with some for senior memory issues, achy joints, sore feet, cranky attitude, I'm all in...

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
I never seem to get the flu and haven't had a shot in over 20 years. I think I'll pass once again.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
In Navy boot camp in 1968, we seemed to get two or three shots a day for all kinds of tropical and exotic diseases, including if I recall correctly bubonic plague. I have often wondered, how much if at all those vaccines imparted any sort of long-term immunities. Malaria was one of them. Maybe yellow fever. Since this was at San Diego, so many of us would get reassigned to stations in and around Vietnam, we potentially had a fairly global exposure to diseases. I believe if you were assigned in-country, you got an even more extensive round of shots. I wondered at the time if the saturation vaccinations were as effective as if we'd had them over time, but since they had us there, they gave us much of what they could. Guys who were shot-phobic had a hard time. I'd just inhale and wait for the sting, usually no big deal, though I think needles were heavier gauge in those days, and many of the shots were given by Navy Corpsmen in training. No one fumbled and had to needle me twice for one injection. When we received the polio sugar cubes, our Company Commander (like Navy Drill Sargent) thought the sugar cubes were treats to boost morale, when a young corpsman advised him otherwise. It was a vulnerable moment for a guy who wasn't assigned to be all that friendly otherwise.

eggrollpiper

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2018
I'm suddenly in the mood for reconstituted eggs. Flu shot: just get it. It's not a living strain so no real side effects. Worst case it does nothing. Especially since it's always last year's strain.

Lastly do you not get a smoke detector cuz your house never burned down? It only takes one time and ppl still die from the flu. Can you tell my wife's a nurse?

Dec 24, 2012
Definitely get one. I am especially a fan of the pneumonia vaccination. Going about 10 years back, I had pneumonia several times and would get sick at leats once per year. 8 years ago I received my first pneumonia vaccination and have not got sick since. So I am a believer.

eggrollpiper

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2018
Second on pneumonia vac., both of them. And I'll raise you a shingles vaccine. I had the shingles. You want the vaccine trust me, as lo g as you've had the chicken pox..

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A testimonial from peck. I'll remember that when I go to Walgreens to get my dose. I've done the pneumonia and shingles vaccines. Had a brush with shingles, big purple bruises on one side of your lower back (and other areas). If it takes hold it is a world of misery for months or years. Head it off in advance, absolutely.

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
Here I was feeling all healthy and relatively safe and now I'm sensing impending doom. Jeez, thanks a lot guys! What am I up to now, 3 shots? I'll let this thread mature a little while longer so I can have a more complete list of injections to ask for before I go to the minute clinic.

Status
Not open for further replies.